BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Gurram
Calcite | Level 5

I have bunch of sas tables in one of the library and as per the user requirement and to maintain unique name across all libraries, i have renamed the SAS Tables in that library.

like tables registered and name changed from 'ttf_address' to 'address', but in SAS EG i could see the table names as 'ttf_address' not just 'address'.

why this happening and how to apply the fix to be able to reflect the same table names in SAS EG.

8 REPLIES 8
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

It seems that you have rename the metadata name, and in the server tab, physical names are displayed.

Or, you have renamed the tables in SMC, but not renamed the tables physically.

Data never sleeps
Gurram
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Linush,

Thank you for your reply...

I have renamed in SAS SMC after registered the tables from out source.

like there are data tables with same name for two entitis but data is different, hence we have prefix with entity code.

Ex: like transport entity tables has prefix 'ttf_sample'  for table names

& sales entity tables has 'sls_sample' table name

and resisted them into two SAS sales library and transport libraries  then renamed in SAS SMC in both libraries to met the table names in rest of the libraries.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I'm not following you.

• What are the physical table names?
  • What are the metadata table names?
  • What engine do you use (for EG users)?
  • What allocation method for library assignment is used?
Data never sleeps
Gurram
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Linush,

yes, i can see physical table names in server tab are the physical tables?

i can see metadata table names as renamed table names in Folders tab.

oracle Engine

applied read/deny permissions on libraries in SMC.

i think i need to apply the permission on folder structure rather than on libraries using SMC.

please comment.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

If you are renaming the tables in metadata and NOT renaming the physical table files, then that can cause some confusion.

It would be better to rename the physical files, then update the table definitions in metadata by using the Register Tables function in SAS MC, or Tools->Update Library Metadata in EG.

EG operates in both The World of Metadata and the World of What's Real.  So while your end users might see libraries and tables as they are named in metadata, SAS programs that are written against these tables might revert to the actual physical file names.  It's best to keep these in sync, if possible.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Gurram
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Chris,

thank you for your reply.

still not getting exactly.

i had rename the tables after registered from Oracle schema in SMC as below.

Example - registered below tables:

USA_cust table - registered into 'US' library then renamed to USA_customer_details.

UK_cust table   - registered into 'UK' library then renamed to UK_customer_details.

answer for your hint is - i cannot rename the tables in physical location as both tables exists in same schema, wont allow to be create two tables with same name.

Users wants to see the renamed table name(USA_customer_details & UK_customer_details) in SAS EG under "Server > SASApp > Libraries >US & UK libraries" appropriately.

sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

Gurram - one thing you can do from Chris note is i guess -

- unregistere all tables from MC (this will not delete physical table from library)

- RENAME all tables physically under all library, as per user needs (i think you can do it since tables names are different as UK and US)

- then register all tables under each library meanwhile check how it looks like in EG

- in worse case - concern SAS technical guys...last options Smiley Happy

Gd lk!

Gurram
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Sandy,

i can not rename physically as oracle schema wont allow two tables with same name.

correction in last post table names....

USA_cust table - registered into 'US' library then renamed to 'customer_details'   (not USA_customer_details   - its typo error).

UK_cust table   - registered into 'UK' library then renamed to 'customer_details'    (not UK_customer_details   - its typo error).

Users wants to see the renamed table name(customer_details & customer_details) in SAS EG under "Server > SASApp > Libraries >US & UK libraries" appropriately.

Can i do log into SAS EG and navigate to Server > SASApp > Libraries >US & UK - rename tables names?

i have already renamed table names in SMC after registered them into UK & USA libraries.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation