BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
yizhusas
Calcite | Level 5

In PC SAS, under one PROC SQL ... QUIT, we can select a particular set of codes and execute it, then do the same thing for another selected code, and etc.. But it looks this feature does not work in SAS EG, we have to run the entire Proc SQL, which makes the code testing process a little bit difficult, especially when it involves Teradata volatile table for instance.

Is there an option in SAS EG to turn this PC SAS feature on?

8 REPLIES 8
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

No. Since EG sends "magic code" that is designed to clean up after any mistake, it also ends proc sql with quit;

To selectively run individual SQL steps, you have to wrap them into individual proc sql calls.

yizhusas
Calcite | Level 5

that's bad. The problem is whenever we hit the quit, the volatile table will be gone, so I have no way to bring it into next proc sql. Hopefully SAS will add that feature into its future version of SAS EG. 

Thanks

Reeza
Super User

That actually sounds like something you may also be able to fix on the Teradata side, can you get your volatile tables to basically not be volatile and exist past a single session.  

yizhusas
Calcite | Level 5

figured it out. Actually I have to set my v-table as global by using the option "connection=global" in proc sql, then the v-table can be used in separated proc sql. 

kiranv_
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

one more thing you can use your volatile table in SAS in datastep or implicit pass through by using dbmstemp =yes. see the link below for more details

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=acreldb&docsetTarget=p0he4t6yjfmkhpn16qrf0cdhllu6.htm&docsetV...

kiranv_
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Are you using implicit pass through or explicit through for accessing volatile table? if it is explicit pass through run the queries in sql assistant and then all u need to do is wrap work execute and by teradata at the end.

yizhusas
Calcite | Level 5

absolutely it won't work without "dbmstemp=yes", I am using the explicit through.  Have to define the libname first with the opinion "dbmstemp=yes" along with other teradata login statement.

Thanks.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Another option is SAS Studio. Apparently it has an "interactive mode", where an interactive procedure won't be terminated when submitted.

I can't test this, as I'm using Studio with SAS On Demand, which doesn't allow interactive mode.

Tom

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation