BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Dataminer
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

Maybe my question is silly but I have spent several hours trying to solve my problem and it still doesn't work!:smileycry:

I have a list of domains and a list of numbers / numbers-letters combinations. If domain contains any of those numbers or numbers-letters combination, I have to exclude it from the table.

Example:

Forbidden combination: "hotnail";

Thus, domains with typo such as e.g. hotnail.co.uk have to be excluded from the table.

If I use

t1.Domain NOT CONTAINS 'hotnail', then it not only excludes "hotnail" domains but also those which contain HOT in them, such as correct "hotmail" ones.

Which operator should I use in order to exclude only the exact phrase? CONTAINS work in a similar way with LIKE which is not suitable for me.

Thank you very much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

NOT (t1.Domain  CONTAINS 'hotnail' or t1.Domain  CONTAINS 'notmail' or substr(t1.Domain,1,2) = 'it' )

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Reeza
Super User

index or find functions?

Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

The CONTAINS operator searches for the string specified, so your expression (t1.Domain NOT CONTAINS 'hotnail') should not be excluding strings containing "hotmail" if it is looking for "hotnail".

You can confirm this simply:

data test ;

input var $7.;

cards;

hotmail

hotnail

hot

hotmall

hotmaii

hotness

;

run;

proc sql;

create table want as

select * from test

where var NOT contains 'hotnail';

;

quit;

Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

Are you using explicit pass-through?

Dataminer
Calcite | Level 5

Fugue, what is "explicit pass-through"? I am not very experienced in SAS programming. The problem is that my code eliminates strings that are not specified in NOT CONTAINS expressions. I don't know how to solve this problem.

Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

The reason I asked about explicit pass-through is because the CONTAINS operator is SAS specific. It will not work in explicit pass-through.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I suspect that you are making a logic error when trying filter for multiple excluded terms.

If you code (X NE 'Y') or (X NE 'Z') then nothing will be eliminate because for any value of X one of those two conditions is true.

You probably want to code something like this:

NOT (t1.Domain  CONTAINS 'hotnail' or t1.Domain  CONTAINS 'notmail' or .... )

Dataminer
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Tom, I have understood what is the problem. First of all I used AND instead of OR. Then corrected the code as you suggested. I have also found out why does the code eliminate strings that don't have to be eliminated. For example, I want to eliminate all emails which prefix is "it". Like it@hotmail.com. But if I state NOT (t1.Prefix CONTAINS 'it' OR...), it will also eliminate 'white', because white has 'IT' in it. How to handle this?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

NOT (t1.Domain  CONTAINS 'hotnail' or t1.Domain  CONTAINS 'notmail' or substr(t1.Domain,1,2) = 'it' )

Dataminer
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you friends, it is now more clear for me how to combine different functions in the code. Thank you for the help! I don't close this topic for some time, maybe new questions will arise.

Dataminer
Calcite | Level 5

If I want to eliminate all email prefixes that contain only numbers, is it somehow possible to write it in a code? For example, I have

Email

12345@hotmail.com

34958409@hotmail.com

I separate prefixes and get:

Prefix

Is it possible to declare in a code that if t1:Prefix = numeric, then exclude? I cannot assign numeric type to the whole variable, because it can also contain nominal values and its type is character. t1.Prefix IN ('1', '2', '3', '4', '5', '6', '7', '8', '9') doesn't work.

Thanks.

Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

Have you taken a look at the regular expression functions?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation