BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi. When I have a SAS program open and I try to open another one, SAS has to close down the original program (i.e. it can only open one at a time). Is there a setting for this? Its just one of those niggles...
9 REPLIES 9
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
You may need to be more specific in your question. I can have multiple code tasks open at once, but only one analysis task.
deleted_user
Not applicable
In Enterprise Guide (EG) you can have multiple code blocks/segments "open" at the same time for editing, within a project. BUT, you can only have one project open per EG instance. To have multiple projects open -- human multi-tasking -- you have to have multiple EG's running, which is a quick drain on memory.

I have raised this issue many times with SAS, and am waiting for EG 5 to see if they do something about it. When the #2 guy came to the company I was at, I spoke to him about the lack of ability to work on multiple things at the same time. When I was used to review some user interface features for EG 5, I raised and demonstrated the issues. I generally work with large data sets that take many minutes and sometimes > 1 hour to process. The serialness of EG got in the way of my productivity because it doesn't support multi-tasking well. I need to be able to bring in multiple data sources into a project, run concurrent selection queries against them, so that I can then join the smaller selected sets together to continue the analysis. Sometimes the analysis tracks, within an adhoc project, are complete separate, and don't need joining. But EG will do only one at a time.

I believe EG needs to take better advantage of SAS/CONNECT and the use of asynchronous rsubmits to run stuff out of a project. I guess, I may be talking about a form of grid computing, even if on only one machine. After all, if I am writing SAS code in notepad and running multiple SAS programs simulateously the hard way, I should be able to do that within EG. But I can't, so I don't, and I still do a lot of development the old hard way so that I can have multiple things running at the same time.

I think the problem is sourced in that a lot of statistics/statistians ares related to the social sciences where you deal primarily with small datasets, perhaps at most a few thousand "observations". But most of us in the computer performance analysis, and finanicial analysis arena work with > 1,000,000 records on a regular basis. In my last job, the daily number of records to be processes were > 1,000,000,000, and we had > 20 people who worked with that data set.

Each "task" in a project, when run, should run as an asyncrhonous task, with its own SAS session on the server for that run. If a set of tasks are part of a flow, then EG should manage that on its own, separately. Also, a task should be able to be given the property of "autoexec" for when a project is opened.

Finally, just like I can request a "Query and filter..." I should be able to request a "Data step" for a dataset, where it preloads the DATA...; and SET...; statements for me, and all I have to do is write the code inbetwen that and the run; I know I can open and write a code block, but I can write SQL too, so why is there a dialog box for queries?
frisco
Calcite | Level 5
Chuck - have you tried "code abbreviation" In a sas code node(must be open). from the main menu choose code...add abbreviation.(call it something like data) Then cut and paste you model code...and voila....really very simple.
deleted_user
Not applicable
My problem is quite simple. If I have a project open and I want to open another project, I have to open another session of EG and then in this session, open the project. What my colleagues can do is, in the same project, they can open another project in the same session or they can just double click on the project in windows explorer. If I do this, EG has to close down my other project first. Any ideas? Thanks.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
This sounds like an installation/registration problem.

By design, when you double-click on an EGP file, a new instance of Enterprise Guide should launch and open your project.

In contrast, if you double-click on a .SAS file or .sas7bdat file, it will open into an existing Enterprise Guide session, if one exists (else it will launch a new session).

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
shwms
Calcite | Level 5

We just installed Enterprise Guide 7.15 HF2 (7.100.5.6112) (64-bit) on WINDOWS 10.     When first installed .. if user double-clicked .sas program file it would open new EG if not open.  Subsequent .sas double clicks would open program in the then-current Enterprise Guide .

We later came along and installed sas universal viewer

This changed DEFAULT behaviour to open .SAS in the Universal Viewer 1.42.

A user changed back to "Open with" Sas Enterprise Guide.

NOW everytime user double-clicks .SAS a NEW SAS Enterprise Guide session launches... regardless of whether or not one is already open.

How can we change default .SAS double click to recognize when Sas Enterprise Guide is ALREADY open, and just use that sesssion?

Please help.   Thank you!

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Hi @shwms,

Double-clicking a file (ex. .sas) has the same effect as right-clicking it and selecting the Open command on the context menu.  The shell commands for .sas files are located here in the Windows registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SAS.Program.701\shell

The default Open command is located here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SAS.Program.701\shell\Open\command

The default value is:

"C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASEnterpriseGuide\7.1\SEGuide.exe" /openfile:"%1"

If you want a file to be opened in the same/existing EG session, the command must include the “openfile” parameter, as it is above.  If you want a file to be opened in a new EG session, the command should not include the “openfile” parameter, like so:

"C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASEnterpriseGuide\7.1\SEGuide.exe" "%1"

So, check your Windows registry and make sure that the SEGuide.exe command that is being executed when you double-click the .sas file contains the openfile parameter as in the example above.

Casey

ps- As I alluded to earlier, there can be additional .sas shell commands here in the registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SAS.Program.701\shell

So, if you are using the "Open with..." context menu items, rather than the default Open or double-click, it may be using those associated commands instead.  Check those commands in the registry as well and make sure they are passing the openfile parameter.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Chuck,

I hear you. We are looking at ways to do this better in future releases, taking more advantage of SAS/Connect and/or a gridded computing environment.

Right now, EG has an architectual limitation that it can have just one connection to a particular SAS server (for example, "SASMain"). These connections are inherently serial -- we cannot submit a job to an existing session if there is still a job running. However, we can submit a job to another session, using a server of a different name, and run it concurrently. That second server (for example, "SASMain2") can be the same host as the first, with access to all of the same resources. (But it must be addressed using another port in the object spawner setup.)

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
deleted_user
Not applicable
I have a SAS program called $SASScheduledJobs.sas.

It reads a schedule list, determines what is supposed to run, orders the "jobs" and then has them executed, in order, at the scheduled time.

It uses SAS/CONNECT. The signon is synchronous utilizing a signon script. The rsubmit is asynchronous. The job pattern is:

[pre]
on 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
off 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 9 8 12 13 11
[/pre]

So I have 7 concurrent jobs running at one point.

Now I think this same kind of thing should be able to be accomplished in a single EG project. When I open a library and select a dataset, EG enters that data "node" into the project, against the default server, ok fine. Now I want to submit a query against that dataset. I believe that query should be wrapped in a session that rsubmits the query asynchronously to either the remote or local server.

Part of my $SASScheduledJobs and %SynchronousBI code is to automatically issue an %include "...\IncludeLib\LibraryDefinitions.sas" so that all of our standard libraries, filename definitions and options are created in the new session. In my logical definitions of 4 logical servers, I have as "options"

[pre]
%global environment ;
%let environment=PROD ;
%include "...\IncludeLib\LibraryDefinitions.sas" ;
[/pre]

So that these things are also set for the remote server on connection.
The environment is actually PROD, DEV or USER depending on the logical server and the intended environment.

I used to have the LibraryDefinitions.sas in the "Tools : Options ... : SAS Programs : Insert custome SAS code before submitted code "

Now I suppose with proper metadata work, this kind of stuff shouldn't be necessary. At a previous place, it wasn't.

The point is, there appears to be the technology available to do what I desire, for queries to be asynchronously submitted to a remote server session, but it will require a different perspective for EG and what it is supposed to do and how it is supposed to do it. In my opinion, EG should be a java (not .net) application for portability that is a non-SAS interface to multiple underlying SAS servers, and only creates and uses a server session when it actually submits code/requests.

To help with this, there should be a "Data Step" object -- not the same thing as a "code node". I select a dataset, and then select "Data Step" and it opens a dialog, but I don't have to enter/write the "data ... ;", "set ...;", "run; quit;" statements. Just like with the "Query ..." those are provided for me, all I have to do is enter the processing code I want executed in the step. Why? because EG knows the input dataset, and I have already defined that I want all my output to go to EGTASK. The Assign Libname ... for EGTASK was already entered into the project as, but is not actually executed. It is automatically included into the submitted code, after the rsubmit, so that it exists for inputs and outputs.

"Connecting" to a remote server -- that is accessing it through the server list -- should only be a temporary session to pull the library information for that server and cache it in/for EG, same for the "File" tree. The connection/session goes away after the information is retrieved. If I then select that I want to use a specific dataset, a new syncrhonous signon "session" with an asynchronous rsubmit reads some of the data and sends the result set to EG for display.

Perhaps SAS startup is very expensive. Perhaps a new multi-threaded architecture could be designed for SAS and we could have a SAS daemon/service running on the remote server that greatly simplifies the communication of information and running of SAS code. After all, SAS is a JIT compiled environment, a predecessor to Java, perhaps an internal redesign along the ideas of multi-threading, multi-tasking, object orientation, and grid processing would be a great thing. SAS is a system, not just a language. It's goal is to provide simple accessible computing power to analysts, hiding as many of the incidental details as it can.

Ahhh, I see I'm beginning to ramble.
I stoppeth.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation