BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DRivas10
Calcite | Level 5

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this community and I would like to ask for your help because I've been trying for 2h and I can't manage to solve my problem.

My goal  is that from a date that you introduce in a prompt (201803), you get the same date but 11 months before (201704) in this case.

I'd like to do the task as a macro variable because with a data procedure I don't know how to create a variable to use in open code out of it.

The code I'm currently using is the following:

%let end=201803;

%let aux=%sysfunc(inputn(&end,yymmn6.),ddmmyy8.);

%let start_aux=%sysfunc(intnx(month,&aux,-&sample_size.+1,same),ddmmyy8.);

%let start_aux1=%sysfunc(inputn(&start_aux.,ddmmyy8.),yymmn6.);

When I go to the journal after doing some puts I get the following:

61         %put &aux.;

01/03/18

62         %put &start_aux.;

01/02/59

63         %put &start_aux1.;

Could please anyone help me?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

END does not have a date value, but you are using INPUTN() to convert it into one in some places.

AUX also does not have a date value, but you are trying to use it as if it did.

Why did you use the DDMMYY8 format to set the value of AUX?  Do you need that string somewhere else?  If so why would you use a date format that does not include the century?

So you could either copy the whole %SYSFUNC(INPUTN()) code to convert AUX into a date value where you need a date value.

Or store the date value into another macro variable and use that one in your calculations and leave AUX and START_AUX for whatever display purpose you need that other string for.

Looks like you are trying to do this:

%let end=201803;
%let sample_size=2;
%let start=%sysfunc(intnx(month,%sysfunc(inputn(&end,yymmn6)),-&sample_size+1,s),yymmn6);
21    %put &=end &=start;
END=201803 START=201802

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
tsap
Pyrite | Level 9
%let end=201803;
%let aux=%sysfunc(inputn(&end,yymmn6.),ddmmyy8.);

%let start_aux=%sysfunc(intnx(month,(%sysfunc(inputn(&end,yymmn6.))), -11,same),ddmmyy8.);
%let start_aux1=%sysfunc(inputn(&start_aux.,ddmmyy8.),yymmn6.);

%PUT &end.;
%put &aux.;				/*	01/03/18	*/
%put &start_aux.;		/* 	01/02/59	*/
%put &start_aux1.;		/*	195902		*/

I replaced the 'sample size macro logic' with 11 for the purpose of the task requested in your post. You can just plug that logic back in and it should function the same way it is performing now with the '-11' in its place.

Hope this helps.

DRivas10
Calcite | Level 5
Hello Kurt,
It would be a variable from the prompt (12 in this case). I also tried putting a number (11) and the same issue is happening.
Let me know if you need any further clarification and thank you for your time.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Keep in mind that

• the macro preprocessor is a text processing engine and does calculations (on its own) only in some special circumstances
  • date functions expect raw date values as input

Try this

%let aux=%sysfunc(inputn(&end,yymmn6.));
%let start_aux=%sysfunc(intnx(month,&aux,%eval(-&sample_size.+1),same),ddmmyy8.);
Astounding
PROC Star
&aux has the wrong value. It should be unformatted (not using ddmmyy8.) to feed the proper value into INTNX.

In macro language, 01/03/18 becomes 0, the result of %eval(01/03/18)
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Personally, my head always starts to hurt when I get into too many macro functions and variables. It's less sophisticated, but I find a data step clearer.

Tom

%let aux = 201803;

data _null_;
	OriginalDate = mdy(input(substr("&aux.", 5, 2), best2.), 1, input(substr("&aux.", 1, 4), best4.));
	ModifiedDate = intnx("month", OriginalDate, -11, "same");
	call symput("aux1", put(ModifiedDate, yymmn6.));
run;

%put &=aux.;
%put &=aux1.;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

END does not have a date value, but you are using INPUTN() to convert it into one in some places.

AUX also does not have a date value, but you are trying to use it as if it did.

Why did you use the DDMMYY8 format to set the value of AUX?  Do you need that string somewhere else?  If so why would you use a date format that does not include the century?

So you could either copy the whole %SYSFUNC(INPUTN()) code to convert AUX into a date value where you need a date value.

Or store the date value into another macro variable and use that one in your calculations and leave AUX and START_AUX for whatever display purpose you need that other string for.

Looks like you are trying to do this:

%let end=201803;
%let sample_size=2;
%let start=%sysfunc(intnx(month,%sysfunc(inputn(&end,yymmn6)),-&sample_size+1,s),yymmn6);
21    %put &=end &=start;
END=201803 START=201802

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@DRivas10 

Even when starting with a macro variable and wanting a macro variable as result I find it often easier to use a data step in between if there is more than one function involved.

Below sample code for both a data step approach and a macro only approach.

%let end=201803;

data _null_;
  have=input("&end",yymmn6.);
  want=intnx('month',have,-11,'b');
  call symputx('start_aux1',put(want,yymmn6.));
  stop;
run;
%put &=start_aux1;

%let start_aux2=%sysfunc(intnx(month,%sysfunc(inputn(&end,yymmn6.)),-11,b),yymmn6.);
%put &=start_aux2;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 7 in conversation