BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Jaheuk
Obsidian | Level 7

dear all,

I am doing a proc transpose. the number of columns is based on the data.

If I put a query afterwards I would fetch all transposed columns:   select *.T1 from . . . .

HOW do I do this with query builder ??

Kr,

Herman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

EG's point-and-click Query Builder does not currently support generating "SELECT *" syntax.  It currently explicitly lists each column that you select in the Query Builder GUI.  So, you can select all the columns in the Query Builder GUI, but the generated SELECT statement will look like "SELECT col1, col2, ..., coln", rather than "SELECT *".

Adding explicit support for "SELECT *" to the Query Builder is on our roadmap.  It is a reasonable thing to want to do.

Thanks for the feedback.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

You are facing the (well one of the several) reason why not to transpose data.  SQL is built to work with few columns (i.e. small structure, lots of records), in fact SAS also works that way with by groups, although its a lot more flexible.  So unless you want that data that way for a report and no furter processing, then just don't transpose it.  It is far simpler to code with a normalised data structure, than to mess around trying to work out what columns are present etc.

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

EG's point-and-click Query Builder does not currently support generating "SELECT *" syntax.  It currently explicitly lists each column that you select in the Query Builder GUI.  So, you can select all the columns in the Query Builder GUI, but the generated SELECT statement will look like "SELECT col1, col2, ..., coln", rather than "SELECT *".

Adding explicit support for "SELECT *" to the Query Builder is on our roadmap.  It is a reasonable thing to want to do.

Thanks for the feedback.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

PhilC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Casey,
why doesn't query builder support "select * "? Is there a reason? I want to request the incorporation of this but is there an obvious reason known amongst experts why it isn't that way?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation