BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
akarki001
Fluorite | Level 6

Can we export and paste sas output table in define cell of excel sheet? e.g. i need to export sas results to cell B10 to V40 of sheet 1. Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
blueskyxyz
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
ods excel file="D:\temp.xlsx" options(
start_at="2,8"          /*starting point for B cell*/
frozen_headers="10"     /*B10,10=8+2, frozen_headers=frozen_rowheaders+row_repeat*/
frozen_rowheaders="8"   /*frozen_row for blank row*/
autofilter="1-5"
sheet_name="Sales Report"
row_repeat="2"        /*row for head*/
embedded_titles="yes");

proc print data=sashelp.orsales; 
    title "use proc print";
run;

ods excel close;

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Enterprise-Guide/how-to-export-table-to-specific-cell-range-of-de...

akarki001
Fluorite | Level 6

PROC EXPORT DATA=DATA
outfile="C:\test.xlsx"
DBMS=xlsx replace label;
sheet=sheet1;
run;
I need to populate my output C6:V10 only output numbers keeping heading fix and rows are fixed. I mean I have 6 by 20 matrix in existing sheet, just want to fix 1st row (heading) and 1st column (Name) fixed. Thank you so much for your help.
blueskyxyz
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
@akarki001, could you upload the sample dataset and the result you want? or you can debug the code above with new options to get what you want
akarki001
Fluorite | Level 6
data new;
input State $ Jan $ Feb $ Mar $ Apr $;
datalines;
CA 100 200 300 400
NC 200 100 400 300
SC 400 300 200 100
VA 300 400 100 200
;
run;
I have State and Month is fixed in the middle of excel sheet "State". I need to only export numbers not month and state in state sheet. Keep in mind i have many other sheet in the excel file. Thank you so much for your help.

blueskyxyz
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
data new;
input State $ Jan $ Feb $ Mar $ Apr $;
datalines;
CA 100 200 300 400
NC 200 100 400 300
SC 400 300 200 100
VA 300 400 100 200
;
run;

/*starting point for C cell*/
ods excel file="D:\new.xlsx" options(
start_at="3,6"           /*6=2+4*/
frozen_headers="6"       /*6=2+4*/
frozen_rowheaders="3"    /*row=6,col=3*/
autofilter="1-5"         
sheet_name="State"
row_repeat="2"           /*6=2+4*/
embedded_titles="no");

/*proc report data=new nowd noheader;*/
/*    column  State Jan Feb Mar Apr;*/
/*run;*/
/**/

proc print data=new noobs;
run;

ods excel close;
akarki001
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear Pyrite

Thank you so much for the code. My problem is I have exciting file with multiple sheet. I just want to add numbers within templet without hurting other sheet. ods excel will removed all sheet and rewrite but i don't want to touch other sheet. I just want to just populate output in templet. Templet has some heading and text which should be as it is. On above example: I want populate 4x4 matrix number in C6 to F9 without touching any other text. I have heading and some definition in row 1 to row4, B5 has column heading and i want fix (un-touch) row 5 and column B5. Again i don't want overwrite, just want to populate C6 to C9 by numbers without touching other sheets and text within sheet. I have 100 sheets in the file. Hope you understand. Once again thank you so much for your help.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

What you want to do is not possible using ODS EXCEL as you have to build a complete workbook from scratch every time.

It also isn't possible with PROC EXPORT which allows you to completely replace one sheet and leaves others untouched.

The best solution I can think of is to use PROC EXPORT to update a "standard sheet" and then have an Excel macro or formula to copy the data to its required sheet and cells.

blueskyxyz
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
as saskiwi mentioned, maybe you can get the final result with two steps:
1. export the sas datasets in the excel using proc export or ods excel
2. use VBA , python, java ..., put the range of step 1 on your template
AlanC
Barite | Level 11

I work with Excel and SAS dataset at every client engagement and almost daily.

I never use SAS to export to Excel. SAS datasets are ODBC and OleDb compliant. Read the data into an Excel technology and do everything in alternate code. You can use C#/VSTO, or C#/EPPlus, C#/Excel interop, C#/GemBox (cost $). I would recommend not using VBA, Python, or Java. Use MS tech to work with MS tech. There are loads of examples out there. You can download mine, for free, here: GitHub - savian-net/ExcelSasDemo

https://github.com/savian-net
akarki001
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you so much for your help and concerns. At this time i am looking for the solution only in SAS. I don't think i have any option at this point. Just populate SAS output in assigned cells with out deleting or overwriting in existing file and sheet because i have many sheets in the file and also other stuffs in the sheet itself. Once again thank you so much for your help and concerns. Thank you.
blueskyxyz
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
AlanC, thanks for sharing your material about C#, I will try to learn the new thing

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation