BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Dogo23
Quartz | Level 8

Quick question all,

I need Proc Sql syntax for a where statement bring back only records with a string length of 10.

I tried ths and it didn't work:

where  a.date_created >=02/20/2018
and length(account_number = 10) 

Thanks for any suggestions!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20
and length(account_number) = 10

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20
and length(account_number) = 10
Dogo23
Quartz | Level 8

Strange! Your's matches mine so maybe there was a minor difference between what I posted and what I actually ran. This works. Thanks!

Astounding
PROC Star

In addition to the suggestion from @novinosrin that moves one of the closing parentheses:

• A WHERE statement requires a semicolon, and
  • 02/20/2018 is the wrong way to refer to a date.  This actually means 2 divided by 20, divided by 2018.  Instead of 02/20/2018:

'20Feb2018'd

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

hi @Dogo23 to help you clarify a bit more, see the below demo

data h;
input var $10.;
datalines;
;

data w;
set h;
length=length(var);
length2=length(var)=10;/*your were trying to compute the length of binary result which will always result in 1*/
if length(var=10) then flag=1;/*your were trying to compute the length of binary result*/
run;

Your check was a binary check nested before the length function computes it's work. The nested binary will result in 1 or 0 for values that is 10 and "Not aka 0" for otherwise. The commented section should help i think. Thank you.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation