BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mpg
Fluorite | Level 6 mpg
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

Is it possible for Enterprise Guide to use a non-stored metadata server login credential as a database credential when running a SQL pass-through statement?

Context:

Our Enterprise Guide users connect to a metadata server with individual credentials, and the same individual credentials are used to connect to an Oracle database. We don't allow users to store their credentials in their profile or in their metadata user profile, but we encourage them to set the option in EG to persist their credential for the session. I'd like to avoid users entering and storing their credentials in program code.

I've tried the following code unsuccessfully:

PROC SQL;

CONNECT TO oracle AS alias 
	(
		authdomain="DefaultAuth"
		path=dbPath
		preserve_comments
	); 
 	SELECT * FROM connection to alias
	(
		SELECT count(*) FROM schema.table
	);
	DISCONNECT FROM alias;

QUIT;

After the CONNECT TO statement, I get the following errors:

NOTE:  Credential could not be obtained from SAS metadata server.
WARNING: No login information was available for authdomain DefaultAuth.
ERROR: ORACLE connection error: ORA-12162: TNS:net service name is incorrectly specified.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Yes it is possible. I'm assuming you are using the IWA option (Integrated Windows Authentication) in your EG connection profile. Is that correct? If so then you want that to delegate your IWA credentials to your Oracle database connections.

What OS does your SAS servers run on? If you don't credential delegation already set up then that needs to be configured in your SAS application server Kerboros settings. This is a task for a SAS or IT administrator.

I'm not so familiar with how this works with Oracle but I know how it works with SQL Server. Hopefully someone with more Oracle experience can add to this post.  

mpg
Fluorite | Level 6 mpg
Fluorite | Level 6

Our SAS servers are on Linux and use PAM and LDAP for authentication.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation