BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Karthikk
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

After following the steps of creating ODBC Server using dsn with sql server authentication and defining ODBC server and library in SAS SMC given  authentication domain in server manager i am able to connect to the database(MS Sql Server).

I am now trying to register the views which are there in the database by right click on the library and register tables. I have 5 views in the database schema when i am trying to register i am able to see only one view out of five.

I kindly request  to help me with this as it is urgent.

Thanks and Regards,

Karthik

7 REPLIES 7
SASKiwi
PROC Star

How long are the view names you can't see? EG will not show view or table names greater than 32 characters long. Special characters may cause problems also

Karthikk
Fluorite | Level 6

I Have two views which are of 32 long named and 3 more than that. I am trying to register in SAS SMC i am not using SAs EG. Will that be a problem in SAS SMC also??

Unfortunately in two views i am not able to see the one which is lesser than the one which i can see

Regards,

Karthik

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Yes, registering in SMC won't work either.

There are a couple of workarounds:

•   build a view in SQL Server reading the > 32 character named table/view that is no more than 32 characters long
  •   build a SAS SQL passthru view to the > 32 character named table/view 
Karthikk
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Kiwi,

I Also have a doubt that if the names are exceeding 32 character, is there any other way to extract and register them? if yes please explain in detail or give me steps so that i can follow.

Thanks & Regards,

Karthik

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I'm not aware of any other workarounds you can try. If you want to try creating a SAS view then here is some example code to use:

proc sql noprint;
  connect to odbc (noprompt = "server=MySQLServer;DRIVER=SQL Server Native Client 10.0;Trusted Connection=yes;DATABASE=MyDatabase;" ) ;
  create view sasuser.Short_Name as 
  select * from connection to odbc
  (SELECT *
   FROM [MyDatabase].[MySchema].[My_Very_Long_Table_Name_Longer_Than_32_Characters]
  )
  ;
  disconnect from odbc;
quit;

If you think these are not very satisfactory workarounds then I am in total agreement!

Karthikk
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Kiwi.

How can i Convert a character Coloumn Year which values 2004, 2005, 2006 etc into a date Year format in EG? same for Month('Feb') to Date format 'Feb' also??

Tnaks & Regards,

Karthik

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
You need to concatenate those so you get the date you think us appropriate and then use the input function to convert it to a SAS date.

Btw, this is a separate question so it would be better if post it in a separate thread.
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation