BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
alepage
Barite | Level 11

Good morning,

I am debugging an existing code and after the execution of the code below, I receive this note:

The execution of this query involves performing one or more Cartesian product joins that cannot be optimized.

As I am not familiar at all with this note, I would like to know if there is something I could do to improve my code?

What are the implications of this note in term of result (created table)?

proc sql;
create table envoi_courriel_&yyyymm_e._&type_e._a as
select a.customer_number,
max(case when a.lob = "AUTO" then 1 else 0 end) as flg_quote_auto,
max(case when a.lob = "HOME" then 1 else 0 end) as flg_quote_hab,
max(case when a.flg_vip = 1 then 1 else 0 end) as flg_vip,
max(a.flg_lo) as flg_locataire,
max(a.principal_operation_date) as date_last_quote format YYMMDD10.

from commun.quotes_uniques_eis a
left join work.customer_email_info b
on a.customer_number = b.customernumber
left join commun.envoi_courriel_dates (where=( today=&today.)) c
on c.today=&today;

quit;

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You are using SQL summary functions without a group by, so SAS has to create the values for the whole result of the join first and then re-read and assign for every customer_number.

Could it be that

group by a.customer_number

is missing from the code?

Since you do not use any variables from relations b and c, and a left join will always keep all observations from a, I don't see why the joins are there anyway.

alepage
Barite | Level 11

Good Morning Kurt,

Thanks a lot for your advice.  After many test, I have which join is causing this note.  It is the last join because there is no real key to make the join.

Anyway, I will have to rewrite this program completely because there are too many notes generated and I felt that this code is not as clear as I would like to.

Regards,

from commun.quotes_uniques_eis a
left join work.customer_email_info b
on a.customer_number = b.customernumber
left join (select * from commun.envoi_courriel_dates1 where today=&today.) c on c.today=&today

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation