BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Max-A
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello Everyone,

I've been doing some research to find a way to create a automatic test procedure to check if there are double values in a dataset. I think it must be possible to show a prompt on startup to select the dataset that has to be checked. Correct me if i am wrong.

The problems i encouter are the following:

- I cannot find a way to specify a specific dataset with a prompt. Only a file or directory. But the file is not on the etl server, and so i cannot use it.

- I want to create a testprogram in which a lot of values can be changed. For example:

What variable must be unique? (test 1)

What variable cannot be empty? (test 2)

I am quite new to the sas software, so i hope someone can help me.

Looking forward to the reactions!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You need to populate a dataset, which is already registered in metadata, with the variable names from dictionary.columns (or sashelp.vcolumn). You can build a dynamic prompt from that.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You can define a user prompt as selection from a dynamic list, where the values are taken from a dataset.

• create an empty table that will hold the dataset names
  • register it in metadata
  • use it as source for the prompt

For the finding of double values, proc freq could be very helpful.

Max-A
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for your reply!

The problem that i am dealing with is that there are probably over thousand datasets, and every dataset has its own user permissions.

I was hoping that it was possible to search for the specific location of the dataset that i want to check.

The selected dataset would than be the first step of the process flow. After that it must be the source of the list data/query builder or one of the other data tasks.

Hope you have an idea to tackle this problem.

Reeza
Super User

@Max-A wrote:

Thanks for your reply!

The problem that i am dealing with is that there are probably over thousand datasets, and every dataset has its own user permissions.

I was hoping that it was possible to search for the specific location of the dataset that i want to check.

The selected dataset would than be the first step of the process flow. After that it must be the source of the list data/query builder or one of the other data tasks.

Hope you have an idea to tackle this problem.

Are you saying you can't register the table in the metadata library?

Or you want a simpler way?

Why not make it free text so the user enters the name and add a step to verify its a valid table and if not, then it doesn't run.

EDIT: or expand on @Kurt_Bremser idea and add whatever groups/tags you want to the table to organize the data and then add a cascading prompt so the user can find it using the groups/tags you've set up. 

Max-A
Obsidian | Level 7

I think this is more or less the thing i am looking for. 

So this is what i have done:

1. i made a prompt in which the user can specify the location and name of a sas table

2. i made a program with the prompt to start the project

3. I think the only thing i have to do now is to create a prompt that gives a list of the possible variables of the table that is the result of the prompt in step 1. 

Hope it is possible to create a computed column based on the answer that has been given to a prompt.

What i am wondering is if it  is possible to refresh the values of the prompt every time the first step runs

Reeza
Super User

@Max-A wrote:

I think this is more or less the thing i am looking for. 

So this is what i have done:

1. i made a prompt in which the user can specify the location and name of a sas table

2. i made a program with the prompt to start the project

3. I think the only thing i have to do now is to create a prompt that gives a list of the possible variables of the table that is the result of the prompt in step 1. 

Hope it is possible to create a computed column based on the answer that has been given to a prompt

You can create that list relatively easily, use dictionary.vcolumn to pull all the variable names from a table. Probably need to create a view or something that lists it and then set that as the prompt parameter.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You need to populate a dataset, which is already registered in metadata, with the variable names from dictionary.columns (or sashelp.vcolumn). You can build a dynamic prompt from that.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation