BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Forum,

I am creating a Summary table from Numeric data in SAS EG 5.1 64 bit.

All goes well until I add the Format for a Percentage of each Column as I get strange results like the above.

100% seems to appear as 1E4%.

I've tried all the % type Formats but no luck getting a normal number?

Can anyone advise what's going on?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

As shown in the screenshot I've posted the default length of the percent format 'percent.' is too short to show 10000%. That's why SAS uses scientific notation. When using the format with a increased length 'percent8.' then you get 10000% (100*100).

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Reeza
Super User

Are your numbers between 0 and 1?

Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Reeza,

No, the values are 8 digit Numeric Codes like '23432344' & I'm counting them by 2 Areas.

So I have a summary of Area 1 which is a count of those Codes & the same for Area 2.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Could it be that the internal value for 100% is actually 100 instead of 1?

data test;

format var1 var2 percent. var3 percent8.;

var1=100;

var2=1;

var3=100;

run;

Capture.PNG

Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

That could well be the case Patrick, do you know how I can get it to display numbers though?

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

You use a different format, eg. best32.

Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

That change to BEST32 gives a Number but I want it to show the % in the Table Cell next to the Number.

The Column Description has % in it, so I'm wondering if getting the Table Cell to also show 46% for example is possible?

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

If you want to see percent then you should use the correct internal values. 50% is the same like 0.5 - it's not a value of 50 with a percent sign.

I suggest that you amend your calculations accordingly.

It would be possible to add a '%' sign to any value using a picture format - but I would call this "deceptive".

proc format;

picture cheat

other='0000000%'

;

run;

data test;

format var1 cheat.;

var1=50;

run;

Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

I would have thought SAS would be able to add a number of values in categories & derive a % of each category regardless of the format.

The values it is counting could be 0.5 but this would still be a % of 50 '0.5s' out of a population of 200 values & therefore give me 25%.

Reeza
Super User

Oscarboots wrote:

I would have thought SAS would be able to add a number of values in categories & derive a % of each category regardless of the format.

The values it is counting could be 0.5 but this would still be a % of 50 '0.5s' out of a population of 200 values & therefore give me 25%.

It can, you're just not doing it right Smiley Wink

Perhaps start your question from scratch and we can help you get where you want to go.

For example, the summary you're looking for sounds like something you'd do via Task>Describe>One way Frequencies or Table Analysis

Then look into all the options to make sure you add the percents the way you'd like.

Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

data_example.gifCorrect Reeza!

Here are my steps;

• Select the data Node I need, go to Tasks >>  Describe >> Summary tables Wizard
  • To the 'Analysis variables', I add the 'OrderActualID' field with the statistic '% of Column Frequency'
  • Next, I add 'RoundID' to the 'Columns' area
  • 'Spend_Category' to the 'Rows' area
  • 'Week_Ending' to the 'Pages' area
  • That's it to give me the actual %s of the % of Column for 'OrderActualID' but it doesn't display a '%' sign next to the number
  • It's when I add the Format of 'PERCENT6.1' in Step 2 of the process under 'Select table Format' is when I get the scientific format??

Any suggestions

Reeza
Super User

I stand corrected, it can't :smileyangry:

You'll have to create a custom format and apply as indicated by Cynthia

However, I still think you have a mistake in your process. The analysis is typically something you'll add, average, take the median and orderID doesn't sound like some thing like that. 

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

The SAS Percent format does an automatic multiply by 100 -- for the purpose of turning your decimal number (like .05 and .23 into the percents 5% and 23%). So if you have integer numbers in the cell that have already been multiplied by 100, then the Percent format is going to do another multiply by 100, which will not be what you want.

For example, when you are using PROC TABULATE, which also does a multiply by 100 for it's internally calculated percents, you CANNOT use the SAS Percent format because then you will multiply by 100 two times. This is where, with TABULATE, you MUST use a PICTURE format such as shown below to get the % into the cell.

cynthia

proc format;

picture mypct low-high='009.99%';

run;

Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Cynthia,

So is that why I'm getting a scientific number?

If that's what it is?

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

As shown in the screenshot I've posted the default length of the percent format 'percent.' is too short to show 10000%. That's why SAS uses scientific notation. When using the format with a increased length 'percent8.' then you get 10000% (100*100).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation