BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ravikishore
Calcite | Level 5

Hello All,

I would like to run piece of code using SAS Enterprise Guide and code should be run on specific node. Could some one help me with code?

8 REPLIES 8
tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Why would you want to do that?
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Ravikishore wrote:

Hello All,

I would like to run piece of code using SAS Enterprise Guide and code should be run on specific node. Could some one help me with code?

I believe that's only possible in batch so you would need to start a SAS program in batch out of a SAS EG session (i.e. by using an X command).

SASGSUB as documented here is what you need to start the SAS batch job against the Grid. You will need to ask your SAS admin what you're allowed to do and which queu to use.

@tomrvincent 

The one use case I know of is in an environment where a small percentage of jobs require a lot of memory. For cost reasons only one of the grid nodes has been set-up with such an amount of memory.

tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Since it's a grid it's going to use that node anyway.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@tomrvincent wrote:
Since it's a grid it's going to use that node anyway.

Not necessarily. Only because this node has more CPU's and memory doesn't mean it got always more available resources. 

These are multi-threaded processes so a few jobs only can keep the whole node already rather busy.

tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Then it's a poorly designed grid. Having the bulk of CPUs or memory in one node defeats the entire purpose of distributed processing.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@tomrvincent wrote:
Then it's a poorly designed grid. Having the bulk of CPUs or memory in one node defeats the entire purpose of distributed processing.

@tomrvincent 

Sorry but you're really missing the point:

This is AWS and you pay for the size of an instance (a node) per time you use it. There is a small percentage of jobs which need an "excessive" amount of memory during month end processing. These jobs get submitted using a lsf queue which only points to this one node with more memory. Other jobs use the full grid. Once month end processing is done the grid node with the "excessive" memory gets replaced with a cheaper AWS instance. 

tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Nobody can 'miss a point' that was never even mentioned. This has nothing to do with AWS at all. If it is, that's a different matter. This is about running EG grid. I've been doing that for years on Linux.
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @Ravikishore 

It can be done, but you need an extra server-context which bypasses the grid manager /LSF. You could then connect to that server-context from EG using the designated port number. 

Setting up an extra server context isn't among the daily routines for a local SAS administrator, so it is a good idea to leave it to your SAS technical  consultant or whoever was responsible for your SAS Grid installation in the first place. 

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation