BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Arsenio_Staer
Calcite | Level 5

Dear all,

I'm connecting in EG to a remote SAS server and the same code seems to work fine in base SAS 9.3 but in EG 4.3 it just stalls the local server with the message "Running:....", ( and log facilities stop working (e.g. running sort task on a dataset doesn't produce a resulting dataset and/or anything in the log window, it just sort of blinks). If i disconnect the local SAS server and reconnect again, I can see logs again but still can't use sign-on.

Code:

%let wrds = wrds.wharton.upenn.edu 4016;

options comamid=TCP;

signon wrds username=_prompt_;

RSUBMIT;

In base SAS running this code immediately pops up the login prompt and in EG it exhibits the behavior mentioned above. No idea what's going on, EG shouldn't interfere at all with this sign on process, right? Tried to google this, found nothing.

Thanks,

Arsenio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TimB_SAS
SAS Employee

To echo what Barry has said - you will not be able to use _PROMPT_ to supply credentials to the remote server.  You will need to supply the USER= and PASS= options on the SIGNON statement.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

You are a little bit scant of your environment description.

One guess is that there is a common confusion about connection methods to a SAS server from different clients.

On SAS DMS client ("Base"), the common method is to use SAS/CONNECT with signon statement (as in cour example).

When connection to a SAS server from i.e. Enterprise Guide, you another connection method, using something call IOM. The client login to the Metadata Server (specified in the metadata server), when authenticated, your will use a Workspace Server as the server side SAS session, not a SAS7CONNECT one. All this will happen without  signle line of traditional SAS code.

Your code is unlikley to work (probaably there is need for it any more), unless you chose a local SAS metadata server, and that local SAS has SAS/CONNECT installed.

/Linus

Data never sleeps
twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8

I would suggest that it is sitting there wainting for you to enter you user ID and password as you have used _prompt_ - not a good option to use if you are submitting to a workspace server (which is not running in interactive mode)

Barry

TimB_SAS
SAS Employee

To echo what Barry has said - you will not be able to use _PROMPT_ to supply credentials to the remote server.  You will need to supply the USER= and PASS= options on the SIGNON statement.

Arsenio_Staer
Calcite | Level 5

Guys, sorry for late answer!

I will try to do this tonight/tomorrow. Thanks for the replies! It does seem like a window is being created, but I couldnt find it anywhere on the desktop.

@LinusH,

thanks for that info! I have no idea though how to adapt it to a local metadata server, and i guess folks in our department or at WRDS have no idea either. Looked in help files, couldn't find the info. The only way documented is through the usual SAS/CONNECT (a guess?). I'm not sure how i can get the environment description or what do you mean by that?

@TimB,

I just now checked the pass submitting option and it works! Was a bit confused by all the password encoding in the help file!

15         %let wrds = wrds.wharton.upenn.edu 4016;

16         options comamid=TCP;

17         signon wrds username=XXXXXXXX password=XXXXXXXXXX;

NOTE: Remote signon to WRDS commencing (SAS Release 9.03.01M0P060711).

NOTE: Copyright (c) 2002-2008 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.

NOTE: SAS (r) Proprietary Software 9.2 (TS2M3)

Licensed to UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA - T&R, Site 70001358.

NOTE: This session is executing on the SunOS 5.10 (SUN 64) platform.

Thanks guys!

Arsenio

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation