BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DA_SAS
Fluorite | Level 6

We are in the very beginning stages of moving a production batch system running on a legacy VMS system using SAS and COBOL to SAS Enterprise guide with the SAS server on Linux. Most everyone else is using EG striclty for add hoc queries and reports.

I am mostly self-taught and despite being comfortable with Base SAS programming I think I am missing on some basic concepts when moving to EG . One example is that I am struggling to understand how to implement a code/macro library that can be used by other members of our programming team. When I save a program externally from EG I only have the option to save it to my folder under the Server list and not to any of the SAS folders. I can use Autocall or %include for use in my own programs but can’t figure out how/where to save it so that others can use it.  

Can someonw off guidance or point me to specific resources that will help me better understand? Any help is appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

For starters, your SAS admin will need to configure the workspace properties to allow file navigation outside of your own SASUSER path.  See this blog post for the basic instructions.

Then you'll have access to the full folder tree, and you can organize your code as needed.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
DA_SAS
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Chris! I will start there.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

A couple of other things to think about:

1. In EG, you can either save your SAS code (that you edit in a program window) within the EG project, or externally as a .sas file. EG tasks are always saved within the project. Both options have pros and cons; make sure you understand fully which is which, and that you can ensure your other users make the right choices. For any code that you are going to want to include, it will need to be saved externally.

2. Your other users should find EG a huge improvement for ad-hoc queries and reports. EG really shines in that role!

3. Although EG has "scheduling" capabilities, for production systems it's generally preferable to use the server scheduling options to run the code. Doing it with EG means you have to configure your workstation, and it's more liable to have problems.

You're going to find lots of changes, but in the end if you're not much happier I'll be very surprised!

Good luck,
   Tom

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you are managing production SAS applications then the easiest way to colloborate with SAS code is to use code management tools like GIT, TFS, SVC etc. We use TFS with EG and its fantastic for managing code development. You should find out what tools are used in your organisation for this as a first step.

Reeza
Super User

@SASKiwi

Seconded! Use a Version Control tool if you want to share code. Especially, if the code may be shared/improved over time. 

DA_SAS
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the advice. Unfortunately we are basically starting from ground zero so there are going to be some growing pains.  

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@DA_SAS agreed. We also started from ground zero. The big advantage here is you can start by doing things right the first time and not have to put up with problems inherited from others...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation