BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
_JonT
Obsidian | Level 7

Ive seen a lot of posts about setting relative paths but not for the reverse

There is a setting somewhere, please tell me what it is?

I open a new project. I drop a .SAS file in. The path saved is a relative path. This means anyone else opening my project cannot see my shortcuts presumably because there is something in the shortcut that is attached to my user profile (guessing)

My boss opens a new project on the same server but under his user. He drops a program in. The path saved is the absolute path. This means I can open his project and see his shortcut.

There is an option in Project Properties, file references which says:

Use paths relative to the project for programs and importable files. 

Playing around with this setting / opening / closing / saving etc.. doesn't affect the outcome.

There must be a setting but cant seem to find it. Any help?

This is really annoying as I cannot develop any EG projects for my team.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
_JonT
Obsidian | Level 7

We think we have found the solution to this. We have seen that there is an odd shortcut in my profile. If I ignore the shortcut and use the normal structure then others can view my shortcut. Getting admin to remove that shortcut - will check back with an OK once done

Added Note: This seems to be the issue. A strange shortcut was the culprit

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
We use a common structure rather than under users.

So, a project path might be Z:\Projects\States\PA Claims Processing.

That way, everyone has access to it. Problem solved.
_JonT
Obsidian | Level 7

Its EG which puts the relative path in. I am unable to put the absolute path. There is a change button, but it simply asks me to point to a new destination. I do not have the ability of typing in the path. 

No problem NOT solved

tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

use %include instead of 'dropping' a program in.  Or copy the code into a new program within the project.  You still need to use directories your entire team has read/write access to.

_JonT
Obsidian | Level 7

Tom. I use %inc to tun the code. But I want to "see" the code to edit it in EG. I cannot see how 2 profiles on the same server can have 2 different actions. Interestingly our Admin shares my problem so at least I have an ally

Admin have mentioned that the file system we "see" is a shortcut to the real thing (sorry me not technical enough to really understand). When we use %inc we have to insert a path over and above what we see in EG to run the actual code. So when we "drag and drop" the code in EG stores inserts the relative path to the starting point. That all being said, if it were the same behavior for everyone that would be one problem, but the 2 different actions with all the same apparent settings leads to the confusion. All I'm looking for is the option that I need to set to replicate the absolute path in the shortcut. There has been so many posts for setting the relative paths, that I really thought that doing the reverse may have been obvious to those in the know.

tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
If the code isn't ready, then paste the code into a new program task, fix it and then paste the fixed code back into the .sas file. Then %include it once it is stabilized so that others can also use the finalized version. Having fixed locations for code and output has made it easier for our team to work with common code, macros, functions, formats, datasets and views. It's great.
_JonT
Obsidian | Level 7

I am looking for the setting which differentials the 2 users one recording the absolute path and the other the relative path. The business about %inc is only a distraction 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

So perhaps the issue is not with EG but with different ways that the PC's that are running EG are accessing the files?

Windows 10 has some nasty shortcut behavior.  I frequently can see files in Windows Explorer in the "Downloads" folder, but when I try to copy the path from the header bar in Windows Explorer it won't show me the actual path to the folder (like C:\Downloads).  Yet other days it does.  Somehow I must be opening Windows Explorer in a different way sometimes.

_JonT
Obsidian | Level 7
We are working on a UNIX machine
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User
Enterprise Guide does not run on Unix. It only runs on Windows.
SAS can run on windows, but it sounds to me like you are having trouble with EG and not with SAS.
snoopy369
Barite | Level 11
Can you be a little more specific?

First, can you verify that in Project Properties, the checkbox "Use paths relative to the project for programs and importable files" is NOT checked?

Then, can you link a program (using Open -> SAS Program), and right-click the program, select properties, and show what it says for the File Path? Make sure to explain if you have a drive letter whether that is a local (physical) drive or a network share mapped to a drive.
_JonT
Obsidian | Level 7

Hey Snoopy

Thanks for replying

Yeah I did check that 

the checkbox "Use paths relative to the project for programs and importable files" is NOT checked? (As per original post)

Yes and the second point, if you just hover over the icon you get that information. It was this which shows which is saved relative or absolute

Going to promote this to SAS help desk as this forum doesn't seem to have an answer

_JonT
Obsidian | Level 7

We think we have found the solution to this. We have seen that there is an odd shortcut in my profile. If I ignore the shortcut and use the normal structure then others can view my shortcut. Getting admin to remove that shortcut - will check back with an OK once done

Added Note: This seems to be the issue. A strange shortcut was the culprit

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation