BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
atran2
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi folks,

I have this SUM function that is giving me the error message: 

• ERROR: Summary functions nested in this way are not supported.

The block of PROC SQL code that is giving me trouble looks like this:

SUM(CASE 
        WHEN 'AoE'n = "BAG"
        THEN (GN.Principal * CALCULATED 'DC Term'n)
        ELSE (GN.Principal * GN.'FAC Term'n)
    END) AS 'FTP LP Y'n 

When I execute the code without the SUM(), it works and shows all values in the column (calculated from other values). What I need to do is SUM all the values in that column into a singular cell....What is odd to me is that when I used SUM() here, it does work, which I am using in an earlier portion of my PROC SQL code and it looks like this:

SUM(CASE
	  WHEN 'FAC Type'n = "DC"
	  THEN (GN.Principal * GN.'FAC Term'n)
	  ELSE 0
    END) 
/
SUM(CASE
	  WHEN 'FAC Type'n = "DC"
	  THEN GN.Principal
	  ELSE 0
    END) AS 'DC Term'n,

I can't seem to figure out the differences in syntax between the two blocks of code. Does anyone have any ideas why I might be getting this error?

4 REPLIES 4
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

The problem must be with CALCULATED 'DC Term'n. DC Term must already be a sum. So you basically have SUM(SUM(something)). Show us more for a possible workaround.

PG
atran2
Fluorite | Level 6

Hey you are totally right, which I eventually realized, but still don't know how to get around this since the only way I can think of getting 'DC Term'n is via the sum, which leaves me with a nested sum which PROC SQL seems to dislike. This is the code from 'DC Term'n:

SUM(CASE WHEN 'FAC Type'n = "DC"
	 THEN GN.Principal
	 ELSE 0
    END) AS 'DC Term'n

So currently it seems that what I am basically asking PROC SQL to do is:

SUM(CASE WHEN 'AoE'n = "BAG"
       THEN GN.Principal * SUM(CASE WHEN 'FAC Type'n = "DC" THEN GN.Principal ELSE 0 END)
       ELSE GN.Principal * GN.'FAC Term'n
    END) AS 'FTP LP Y'n 

and clearly PROC SQL/SAS does not like that. How would I get around this?

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

I don't see any way around this. You will need two queries or, if you want to avoid creating an intermediate table, two nested queries to do both sums.

PG
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Please explain what you are trying to do.  Please explain what your grouping variable(s) is.  Post a small sample set of data (in the form of a data step that we can run to re-create it) and what result you are trying to get.

Also is there any reason you need to use SQL instead of just writing normal SAS code?

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation