BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SP2
Calcite | Level 5 SP2
Calcite | Level 5
I have a Unix SAS Account (SAS 9.1) . I have a Mainframe account.How do I get data from mainframe to SAS? Right now I can only view what is inside the mainframe.I need to pull the data. Anybody have any idea?
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
You will need to use the SAS XPORT (transport) engine/format to copy (using PROC COPY as well) your SAS Unix data to the mainframe system. Each OS has a companion guide which has information. Also, the SAS support http://support.sas.com/ website has information about using LIBNAME XPORT facility to prepare you SAS data libraries and catalogs for transfer via FTP typically from your source to your target system environment. You will also have considerations with SAS source code and backup/recovery procedures if you are moving your SAS application processing to the mainframe environment.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
It's not clear whether you have SAS on the mainframe or not? If so, what version? If you also have a license for SAS/CONNECT, PROC DOWLOAD is usually the most convenient way to transfer SAS data between hosts.

Be aware of that the XPORT engine does not support V9 feature set for SAS tables, such as long table/column names. An alternative would be using PROC CPORT/CIMPORT.

If you don't have SAS on the mainframe (and the mainframe data is not SAS data sets), please explain more of what type of data you are dealing with.

/Linus
Data never sleeps
Patrick
Opal | Level 21
"Right now I can only view what is inside the mainframe" ....
How? As you ask this question in the SAS EG corner: Viewing with SAS EG?
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Agree that this is probably not an EG thread.
The problem is that there is such of variety of SAS users, problems, etc. The best would be to have forums that would cover all SAS topics, but that would almost impossible. This thread could be placed in a architecture/host forum.
But I think that it's better that these questions are being asked/answered in a forum with a different subject, rather than not being asked at all.
I think it's up to the forum administrator to maintain the forums and their content.

/Linus
Data never sleeps
Patrick
Opal | Level 21
Linus

I asked the question about viewing the ds because the problem might be much simpler than it sounds - if only we get the all the info.

About the number of forums: Please not more of them! There are already too many right now for my taste.

Cheers, Patrick
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Let's pretend there is SAS on the mainframe and SAS on Unix, and you have EG that can connect to them both.

Let's further pretend, in my little hypothetical answer, that you have SAS 9.2 in both places and EG 4.2.

You *could* use the Tasks->Data->Download task to download the data from the mainframe to your PC. And then you could use the Data->Upload task to upload it to Unix. Yes, it's two hops, but you'd be surprised how fast the data can move.

I'm pretty sure that this answer doesn't help the original poster, since the environment is too different from my pretend environment. But at least the people lurking on the forum might have learned something in this otherwise "off topic" thread...

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
kevgermany
Calcite | Level 5
I assume, unlike the others, that SAS isn't on the mainframe. In that case you have a few options:

Read directly using ftp access method and appropriate formats (s370 series)

If data is text, and doesn't contain binary / packed or other mainframe formaatted fields, ftp to the unix box and let ftp do the conversion from ebcdic to ascii.

There are other ways, but these are simple and straightforward.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation