BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jfreeze03
Calcite | Level 5

Currently, SAS EG is set up with pre-assigned libraries toTeradata. These create threads to Teradata for however many databases that I have pre-assigned . When I open a database in SAS EG, it creates an addition thread to Teradata. When I click on and open a table, it creates an additional thread to Teradata. When I have the library NOT assigned and then assign it, there is only one thread created whereas there would be two if i were to have it already pre-assigned and then opened it and that's before clicking on a table, which creates another thread to Teradata. 

The issue I am trying to tackle is to limit the amount of threads that SAS users to Teradata. One way is to un-check all pre-assigned libraries and then assign as needed or to have the most commonly used libraries be pre-assigned. I am asking for best practices in limiting threads to Teradata because these open threads take up Teradata resources that our ETL may need to load tables or run reports in COGNOS from Teradata. Is there a setting in SAS Management Console that can help with limiting threads/sessions or timeout unused threads after a certain time? Why is a new thread created even though I have the library already assigned? It seems that it's probably better to keep it unassigned and then assign it and I'll have one less thread. Open to any thoughts or suggestions.

1 REPLY 1
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you add the option DEFER = YES to your Teradata pre-assigned libraries, a session should only be opened when the library is opened by the user. This would be considered a best practice option.

Also setting the maximum number of sessions allowed on your libraries may be helpful:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acreldb/69580/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n0upc7wkfgdssjn103...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation