BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
pijusk
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, 

When launching SAS EG 4.3, I'm getting the following error message which prevents SAS EG from starting:

SAS Enterprise Guide has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

--------------------------------------------------------

System.TypeInitializationException

The type initializer for 'SAS.EG.ProjectElements.MetadataHelper' threw an exception.

------------------------------ Technical Information Follows ------------------------------

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'SAS.EG.ProjectElements.MetadataHelper' threw an exception. ---> SAS.EG.SDS.Metadata.MetadataException: Error loading control file ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
at SAS.EG.SDS.Metadata.MetadataManagerV2.LoadControl()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at SAS.EG.SDS.Metadata.MetadataManagerV2.LoadControl()
at SAS.EG.SDS.Metadata.MetadataManagerV2..ctor()
at SAS.EG.SDS.Model.Broker..ctor()
at SAS.EG.ProjectElements.MetadataHelper..cctor()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at SAS.EG.ProjectElements.MetadataHelper.get_Broker()
at SAS.EG.SEGuide.MainForm.InitializeBroker()
at SAS.EG.SEGuide.MainForm..ctor(EGOptions startupOptions)
at SAS.EG.SEGuide.App.Startup(String[] args)
at SAS.EG.SEGuide.App.Main(String[] args)

------------------------------ End of Technical Information ------------------------------

Would you be able to advise how to fix this problem ?

SAS EG Issue.PNG
4 REPLIES 4
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Does this happens constantly or occasionally?

Do you connect to a remote SAS server, and what version of SAS do you use?

Are there other EG users on your site? How does it work for them (same versions?)

4.3 is quite old, consider upgrading to the highest version possible.

Also, consider open a track to SAS tech support.

Data never sleeps
pijusk
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Linus, thanks for your reply. This started to happen constantly a few months ago, but it used to work just fine before that. The SAS is installed as a standalone and therefore doesn't connect to external servers, however I had to specify server when installing SAS EM 6.2, but i simply referred it to my machine. The version of SAS that I use is 9.2. I'll try to open a track to SAS technical support, but if you have any ideas what could help, I'd appreciate that. Cheers
naveenraj
Quartz | Level 8

Hi did you get any resolution for this issue. We also started experiencing this issue recently.

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

From the callstack above and inspecting our code, it appears that the SDSControl.xml file in your %appdata%\SAS\SharedSettings\v.v location (ex. C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Roaming\SAS\SharedSettings\4.3\SDSControl.xml) file does not contain valid xml.  You can safely delete that SDSControl.xml file (it will be regenerated), which should resolve the issue.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation