BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
lai302120
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

i'm a new user to SAS EG but i've been using SAS Foundation for a few years now.

My issue:

I open and run sections of sas code in EG, but i find that whenever i run a section of code and get stopped due to errors, the results (i.e. macro variables created, libraries, temp datasets) from the previous sections of code i ran are all lost after and I need to rerun everything again.

am i using EG 'wrong'? i've never experienced something like this when i use SAS Foundation. 

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Submit in EG: proc options; run; and check in the log to see if the ERRORABEND SAS option is set. This may well explain the behaviour you are seeing - your session dropping if there is a SAS error. This option is not usually used for interactive SAS but it may be a default setting you are picking up from your SAS server.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Submit in EG: proc options; run; and check in the log to see if the ERRORABEND SAS option is set. This may well explain the behaviour you are seeing - your session dropping if there is a SAS error. This option is not usually used for interactive SAS but it may be a default setting you are picking up from your SAS server.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

SAS Enterprise Guide works differently than SAS Foundation (Base SAS windowing environment).  When you run a program/task, the log/output/results of that task are replaced in your process flow, not accumulated.  Data sets and other files are not actually deleted (unless the code you run directs that to happen), but EG brings you back just the results of your latest "run".  If you have an error in the program, then you might not see any results.

If you want to see the log output accumulate, turn on the Project Log feature (View->Project Log). That will keep track of all of the SAS logs for each iteration of code you run.

Your data sets are always available in their respective libraries -- look at the Server List, navigate to the libraries you want, and add the data you want to track to your project.

Unlike Base SAS, SAS Enterprise Guide doesn't offer a good method for interactive procedures: the line-by-line submission of code for certain PROCs like PROC REG or IML or GLM -- those procedures that stay "open" until you submit a QUIT statement.  If you need that method of working in a client interface, SAS Studio (a web based programming interface for SAS) does offer a special interactive mode (but it's also not the default way of working).

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation