BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Laurel
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello.  I'm using SAS EG on a Unix Server and it is structure to not recognize a local drive. Therefore, I must use WinSCP to transfer a file from the Server to a local location.  Is it possible to create a csv file from a SAS Dataset on the SAS Server using SAS EG and then use WinSCP to move the csv file to a local location?  Right now I'm opening the SAS Dataset and then using the Export wizard to create the csv file on the local location. The local location is a Windows 10 machine.  This process seems highly ineffecient.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

If this is something you do frequently it would be worth working with your IT and SAS admin to set up a location that both the server can write to and you can see as a local or shared network location from your Windows machine. If the IT or Admin won't even consider it you may need to explain about the amount of person time is wasted with associated costs to your organization.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ballardw
Super User

If this is something you do frequently it would be worth working with your IT and SAS admin to set up a location that both the server can write to and you can see as a local or shared network location from your Windows machine. If the IT or Admin won't even consider it you may need to explain about the amount of person time is wasted with associated costs to your organization.

Reeza
Super User

Unfortunately you don't have a ton of options. Some are:

1. Use system commands to essentially execute the winSCP process. You need to have X commands enabled for this, and it's usually off by default in EG and most admins won't turn it on. 

2. If you have a copy of Base SAS, that will allow you to work both locally on server as required. 

3. Set up location that is visible both on server on local desktop

4. Copy EG task - better than the manual step as you can set up as a template, but still can't be fully automated. http://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2012/12/06/copy-files-in-sas-eg/

5. Set up a script on windows that will ftp/winscp file to desktop. If this is an automated process, it could be scheduled according to when you expect the file to be complete on server. 

Laurel
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you Reeza and ballardw for your advice.  I have sent your responses to my SAS Support person asking for them to elevate the situation because as you've both mentioned, this is a poor use of manpower.  Thanks to each of you for your time.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

As others have mentioned, the Copy Files task can help you to automate this within your project.  See my blog post about this exact scenario (create a CSV and download).  It's not 100% SAS code, but it is completely automated within your project.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Laurel
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you, Chris, for your reply.  I have just begun to read your blog and received a response from my internal SAS contact.  I find there response interesting: "our group does not support issues with copy files task since this is not part of the SAS depot, but we do allow it".  Making these types of necessary processes functional and have to depend on the buddy system continues the inefficiency.  Why isn't this a part of the SAS depot?  I will continue to raise the issue internally.  My working life is filled with these types of workarounds.  It also makes it difficult to train someone new.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

@Laurel, yes, we have a number of "after market" custom tasks that help with productivity.  Some have actually made it into the product (like the Macro variable viewer, System Options viewer and many others), while some remain tasks that you have to apply yourself.  We'll continue to pursue "official" channels, but for now you should know that these tasks are widely used and support problems are rare.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

What you're trying to do has nothing to do with SAS, so that's why the SAS depot doesn't contain anything related to this.

In my experience, IT system managers have a difficult time with SAS, as it's used for tasks quite different than they're accustomed to.

While making an area of disk "shareable" between Windows and unix doesn't come "out of the box", it is very straightforward to do and this has been available at every multi-OS site I've worked at. Some combination of your SAS admin people and your unix admin people should be able to set this up very easily.

Keep pushing!

Tom

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation