BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
cperichon_macif
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

EG stores the log files temporarily on disk in the Windows %temp% directory in a path with this format:

%temp%\SEG<uniqueID>\<uniqueID>\result.log

How can i find the uniqueid used by SAS EG when the project is opened ? by writing code sas and not use the menu bar help,about and configuration details .

Thanks for reply.

Best regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Sorry, you won't find this unique ID (which is based on the process ID of the SEGUide.exe process) in SAS code.  When using local SAS with EG, you can find it because it also influences the WORK folder.  But with a remote SAS session, that does not apply.

What are you trying to accomplish?  What do you need to use the local temp folder for?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content! Submit your proposals before Sept 16. Accepted presenters get amazing perks to attend the conference!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
hoswee
SAS Employee

You can get the SEG<uniqueID> number by going to Help -> About SAS Enterprise Guide -> Configuration Details. The Temporary files location is under the Current Process heading.

If you are wanting to figure it out using SAS code, you can run %put _GLOBAL_; and look at the log. The SASWORKLOCATION macro has the SEG<uniqueID> number in the path.

cperichon_macif
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

However, when i look into my log, the macro var is GLOBAL SASWORKLOCATION "F:\SASWORK\_TD26536_NVMP1412_\Prc2/" (which i take SEG<uniqueID> as 26536 on the serveur where SAS is running) , whereas The Temporary files location is "C:\Users\mylogin\AppData\Local\Temp\SEG652"(which SEG<uniqueID> is 652 ). Am i right or missing something ?

I wanted to figure SEG<uniqueID> out using code sas in order to read Temporary files from my computeur  in a data step .

Maybe, i had to stress the work is on a SAS serveur, and i wanted to know the SEG<uniqueID> on my local computeur (client).

So, is it possible ?

Thanks and best regards.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Do you have SAS installed locally as well as on a remote SAS server? If not then SAS doesn't store any SAS data locally on your PC.

If you do have SAS installed locally then the only way a SAS program running on your remote SAS server can read SAS data on your PC would be by having a folder share set up. This can only be done by IT administrators.

EG does contain a tool for transferring SAS data or files between your remote SAS server and your PC but it can only be used via the EG menus, not using a program.

cperichon_macif
Fluorite | Level 6

I see that i'm not clear Smiley Happy

So my config is a remote SAS serveur with the "work" on the same serveur .

But, when i use SAS EG (Enterprise Guide) from my local PC (SAS EG is installed on my local PC) , SAS EG creates temporary files on my local pc ("C:\Users\mylogin\AppData\Local\Temp\SEGxxxx). Theses files are not Data files (they are on the work sas serveur of course) , but files from the SAS EG itself, like SAS program, log files and so on. 

I just wanted to know (if it's possible), how could i know the number in order to read them straight from SAS EG is running inside a sas program .

In this case, i want to know this number "652" "C:\Users\mylogin\AppData\Local\Temp\SEG652" from a sas program inside SAS EG.

I hope i'm clearer !

Have a nice day.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Sorry, you won't find this unique ID (which is based on the process ID of the SEGUide.exe process) in SAS code.  When using local SAS with EG, you can find it because it also influences the WORK folder.  But with a remote SAS session, that does not apply.

What are you trying to accomplish?  What do you need to use the local temp folder for?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content! Submit your proposals before Sept 16. Accepted presenters get amazing perks to attend the conference!
cperichon_macif
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I just wanted to access to the current log of the project(.egp) in order to save it in another place, but also keeping in the project, when i save it. That's why i don't use a proc printto.

In the meantime, i found out in SAS EG Menu Bar, Export project log as a project step .

It's useful for me and do the job.

Thanks again,

Best regards.

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Glad to hear that exporting the Project Log as a step in the project addresses your need.  Just fyi...  you can also perform Project Log operations (such as clear, enable/disable, saveas, and email) via automation...

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Enterprise-Guide/Auto-Purge-Project-Log-in-EG/m-p/436983/highligh...

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation