BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
VSht
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Is it possible to run a SQL stored procedure inside SAS?

SQL developers want to have a SQL stored procedure, which can update a column in SQL table based on SAS table values.

We do not have ODBC, we connect SAS and SQL with pcfiles.

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Yes, using the EXECUTE statement in a PROC SQL passthru with an appropriate SAS/ACCESS product connecting to the database.

Here is an example.

No idea if this would work using SAS PC Files Server. Perhaps you could try it yourself. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Yes, using the EXECUTE statement in a PROC SQL passthru with an appropriate SAS/ACCESS product connecting to the database.

Here is an example.

No idea if this would work using SAS PC Files Server. Perhaps you could try it yourself. 

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

The answer is no.
One needs to connect to the respective  databases system which will execute the stored procedure.
SAS needs to connect to the databases system using SAS Access Interface to the respective data base system or atleast SAS Access Interface to ODBC, Then SAS passes the SQL code (SQL pass through) to the database to execute the code.
If you have SAS Access interface to PCFILES, then you can convert the data to csv or excel which can be used to upload the data to the databases.

VSht
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for your responses. Just one final comment because it seems not many people are aware that with Pcfiles you can create the same connection as with ODBC:

PROC SQL;
connect to pcfiles as myconn (server= port= dsn= user= password="");

create   table   SAS_table_name (compress = Y) as
select  *  from connection to myconn(
select *
from [SQL_table_name.] );
disconnect from myconn;
QUIT;

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I'm aware of that approach. Can you try the EXECUTE statement and post your findings here. I'm interested to know!

VSht
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you, I will try your suggestion.

However, I've just learned that this can be done easier - just by using a normal UPDATE statement and referring SQL Server LIBNAME.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you have an SQL Server LIBNAME what engine does it use? 

SASKiwi
PROC Star
proc sql;
   connect to pcfiles as myconn (server= port= dsn= user= password="")  ;
   execute (execute st_pr_name('parm')) by myconn;
   disconnect from myconn;
quit;
VSht
Obsidian | Level 7

Fantastic! Thank you so much!

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Thanks. I was not aware that SAS Access Interface to PC files can function as ODBC.
Wondering if it can connect to RDBMS for example Oracle on Unix systems?

VSht
Obsidian | Level 7

From my conversation to SAS TechSupport this morning I would guess - yes. But I have not tried.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation