BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Oleg
SAS Employee
Morning everybody!

Could anybody point me links to good instructions/tutorials/samples how to run EG tasks from VB code (EG 4.1 – I have found some samples for older ones).

I have found couple of instructions, how to run VB tasks (addins) from inside EG, but I looking opposite solution – how to run EG from inside VB(.NET) code.

What I looking for:
Maximum target is the small solution which enables preparing simple EG workflows and then run this workflow from Visual Basic ( even better would be to run from VB, which are launched from IIS page in same machine). In this way I would be able to prepare a small workstation for business analyst, who preparing workflows and enable for two or three less-analytical colleagues to run his prepared tasks through intranet web server (IIS) installed in the same machine. So in this way to share his/her work without calling colleagues to watch results over his/her shoulder.
Performance is not a problem as requests to run tasks happen probably just couple times in day. If it would be a problem, that means a need to obtain server platform.

Minimum target is to run local SAS programs from Visual Basic (again - even better would be to run from VB, which are launched from IIS page in same machine). Purpose is same as in maximum target – to share results (HTML outputs) with one-two-three colleagues.

I have worked a lot with VB (mostly VB6 unfortunately). In current tests I achieved, that I am able to run SAS programs from VB.NET. I can imagine, that should be easy to connect this VB code to local IIS. But my impression is , that in some way it must be possible to run even EG tasks from VB (can be also C# , or even Java).

I have not found proper tutorials/samples/instructions. Sample would be excellent. I am experienced developer (>20 years) and used to leverage simple samples with parallel learning to working solutions.

And another question. Is it correct, that such infrastructure requires SAS IT Windows client (not a full SA Integration Technologies). And client software (actually set of DLLs) is free of charge.

Thanks in advance for any ideas
/oleg
3 REPLIES 3
deleted_user
Not applicable
YOu misunderstand what EG is. EG is a front end tool to SAS. What you really want to do is to run a SAS process from EG.

If the process was created within EG, you have to package that up, as if you were to have the Microsoft Task Scheduler run it for you, but then, instead, have VB make issue the system call to run the process.

2 clues
1) How would you have VB run a dos .bat file?
2) How would you get MS Task Scheduler to run an EG process.

Then marry these two together, and waza, happiness.
Oleg
SAS Employee
Chuck!

I am really sad 🙂

You catched excellently the idea an dexpressed it in couple of sentences.
That's really what I want to do - create quite simple workflow, which ends with HTML output and call it from local IIS (on request - not as scheduled service).

So - I start investigate Your suggestion - seems that running this vbscript created by scheduling process should be best solution.

thanks
/oleg
darrylovia
Quartz | Level 8
Hey what we've done is create a stored process in EG and then have .NET call it.

This may point you in the right direction
http://support.sas.com/rnd/itech/doc9/dev_guide/dist-obj/winclnt/windotnet.html

-Darryl

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation