BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Hi, all

I just left SAS Global Forum as the proud owner of Chris's book "Custom Tasks for EG". (Shameless plug...it's terrific!)

I've already managed to create a custom task (small world-dominating BWAA-HAA-HAA), but one piece of information eludes me.

Chris's book only covers which .Net versions to use with which EG versions up to 5.1. I've looked, but for the life of me I can't find a comprehensive reference list for all of the Enterprise Guide versions out there.

Could somebody kindly point me at the correct location?

Much thanks,

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Tom,

I'll do better than that.  Here's the updated table:

SAS Enterprise Guidev4.1v4.2v4.3v5.1v6.1v7.1/v7.11
SAS Version9.1.39.29.2, 9.39.2, 9.3, 9.49.2, 9.3, 9.49.2, 9.3, 9.4
Microsoft .NET version1.12.03.5 sp13.5 sp14.04.51

So... these are the versions of Microsoft .NET that each of the SAS Enterprise Guide versions are built with.  However, you can build your custom tasks with earlier versions of .NET, and have them run within later versions of SAS Enterprise Guide.  For example, the samples I built for SAS Enterprise Guide 4.1 (using Microsoft .NET 1.1) work fine within SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1 -- no changes or recompiling needed.

So if you want to build a task that works in multiple versions of SAS Enterprise Guide, aim for the lowest version that you want to support.  Want to support 4.3 and later?  Then use Microsoft .NET 3.5sp1 and reference the SAS.Shared.Addins.dll and SAS.Tasks.Toolkit.dll from SAS Enterprise Guide 4.3.  The resulting task DLL will work in v4.3 and later.

Sometimes the tricky part is finding the SAS-supplied DLLs that you need when you don't have those earlier versions of SAS Enterprise Guide installed.  Let me know if you need those and I'll place them somewhere that you can get to them.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the book!

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Tom,

I'll do better than that.  Here's the updated table:

SAS Enterprise Guidev4.1v4.2v4.3v5.1v6.1v7.1/v7.11
SAS Version9.1.39.29.2, 9.39.2, 9.3, 9.49.2, 9.3, 9.49.2, 9.3, 9.4
Microsoft .NET version1.12.03.5 sp13.5 sp14.04.51

So... these are the versions of Microsoft .NET that each of the SAS Enterprise Guide versions are built with.  However, you can build your custom tasks with earlier versions of .NET, and have them run within later versions of SAS Enterprise Guide.  For example, the samples I built for SAS Enterprise Guide 4.1 (using Microsoft .NET 1.1) work fine within SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1 -- no changes or recompiling needed.

So if you want to build a task that works in multiple versions of SAS Enterprise Guide, aim for the lowest version that you want to support.  Want to support 4.3 and later?  Then use Microsoft .NET 3.5sp1 and reference the SAS.Shared.Addins.dll and SAS.Tasks.Toolkit.dll from SAS Enterprise Guide 4.3.  The resulting task DLL will work in v4.3 and later.

Sometimes the tricky part is finding the SAS-supplied DLLs that you need when you don't have those earlier versions of SAS Enterprise Guide installed.  Let me know if you need those and I'll place them somewhere that you can get to them.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the book!

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
JohannTheux
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

In January 2016, Microsoft will stop the support lifecycle of .NET Framework 4.5.1 and then, we want (have) to pass to .NET Framework 4.5.2.

Is SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1(1) on SAS 9.3 compabible with .NET Framework 4.5.2 ?

Thanks in advance for your(s) response(s) !

Johann

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Hi Johann,

Yes, EG 7.1 and 7.11 are supported with .NET Framework 4.5.2.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation