BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
louise
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

Would like to know how EG generates the resulting values if the expected output is undefined value?

In our scenario, we are computing for ratio with the following given values:

numerator = 15,123,021,740.41

denominator = 0

generated ratio = 1741640597964550%

Although, the data should not have a 0 denominator, just want to ask how EG was able to get the value 1741640597964550%? Moreover, the client tried re-generating the report using same data but the ratio output displayed a different value, 34102446547241500%. Howcome the values are inconsistent?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
We'll need more details for how this calculation was done. Using Query Builder? A program with DATA step? A log/output example would help.

EG doesn't perform calculations itself, usually. All of the computations are done within SAS and driven by SAS programs, either written by users or generated in a UI like the Query Builder.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
louise
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you, Chris. I sent you a separate email. I think it's possible that it's a format issue? I tried summarizing the amounts manually in Excel using the values of the tables used as source by the OLAP cube. It appears that there are two items that did not match because of the decimal values, although when rounded off to two decimals they get the same value. The wierd thing though is that none of them matched the RAW VALUE produced in the EG subtotal.

Excel Manual Summation:
* The optimized value when the Consolidated amount is summarized will equal to 0.00000.
* The original value when the Consolidated amount is summarized will equal to 0.00055.

Query using SAS Base:
* The optimized value when the Consolidated amount is summarized will equal to 0.
* The original value when the Consolidated amount is summarized will equal to 0.0008544922.

EG Subtotal Raw Value:
* The optimized value when the Consolidated amount is summarized will equal to 4.43458557128906E-05.
* The original value when the Consolidated amount is summarized will equal to 0.000868320465087891.
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Louise,

I'd suggest that you read this article and see if it answers your question

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrcon/62955/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a000695157.htm

At the heart of the problem is that you are thinking in base-10 and computers work in base-2, so most things are approximations. Integers can be represented exactly, but decimal numbers cannot. Therefore
X=0;
is not the same as
X=0.0;
louise
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you, Doc. I'll check on the link you provided and see if that explains the issue.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Just FYI for the group...

In follow-up e-mail, it turns out this scenario is related to OLAP from within EG. We're following up within the development group with a more detailed analysis.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation