BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Anya
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I'm a SAS newbie, and I have a pretty simple question:

I have about 20 data sets representing specific sections of a road network, and each have 2 columns that I am interested in: Vehicle_ID and Time_Step. At each time step (1 second), the data set lists the the vehicles which are at a particular position on that section of the road. I would like to match the Vehicle_ID in all tables and obtain the vehicles that are travelling along the entire route in the

network. For each of these vehicles, I would like to find the total travel from from the time steps. I was wondering if there is a simple way in which to filter the data in each data set to give me the

Vehicle_IDs and a count of the corresponding Time_Steps in which the vehicle appeared on the section. For example, if Vehicle 2242 was found to be in the data set at Time_Steps 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 then it was travelling for 6 seconds on that section. Its a relatively simple calculation but I am having trouble performing the filtering on 20+ large data sets.

I would really appreciate it anyone could give me some advice on how I might be able to do this in SAS or forward my question to someone who could help me.

Thanks in advance!

Anya

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

Then wouldn't something like the following suffice?:

data have;

input vehicle time_step;

cards;

1 23

1 24

1 25

2 52

2 53

2 54

2 55

3 34

3 35

;

proc sql;

create table want as

select distinct vehicle,

max(time_step)-min(time_step) +1

as seconds

from have

group by vehicle

;

quit;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
art297
Opal | Level 21

A couple of questions:

Does it have to be a filtering specific solution or can it be a datastep or proc sql solution

Is there a chance that vehciles might have missing Time_Steps and, if so, what would you want as a result if a vehicle had something like Time_Steps 43, 44, 46, 47, 48? or 1,2,3,46,47,48?

Anya
Calcite | Level 5

Hello!

1. It doesn't have to be a filtering specific solution.

2. I think the time steps would generally be in a sequence because a simulation tracked the vehicle's position through a particular section for every second - so its not likely that the time steps will look like 1,2,3,46,47,48 because (hopefully) no vehicles get sucked into a black hole of traffic while travelling on a section

art297
Opal | Level 21

Then wouldn't something like the following suffice?:

data have;

input vehicle time_step;

cards;

1 23

1 24

1 25

2 52

2 53

2 54

2 55

3 34

3 35

;

proc sql;

create table want as

select distinct vehicle,

max(time_step)-min(time_step) +1

as seconds

from have

group by vehicle

;

quit;

Anya
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you..it worked!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation