BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sasecn
Quartz | Level 8

Hello:

I am trying to create a report using SAS EG. My goal is to use prompt manager to let the end user select values from a variable. I know select values from a dynamic list can do the job. But my end user only works on local server, no matadata server connected, so this is not an option for me.

So far, I tried using static list, but the values won't be updated as the background table being updated. For example,  today I get a table which is a part of sashelp.cars only including Make = Acura and Audi, then create a macro variable "Choose_Make" in prompt manager (prompt type: select values from a static list) which is defined by using "Get Values" from the table, so now the prompt only shows "Acura" and "Audi". Then, tomorrow I get a new table which includs Make = Acura, Audi and BMW. Is there any way without modifying the prompt manager and getting all values (Acura, Audi and BMW) of Make? 

I also tried using "variable" as prompt type. But it only shows the variable name in the prompt window. Is that any way it can display the values instead of the name of the variable? 

Thanks for any help!

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Unfortunately, dynamic prompt values are supported only with stored processes (requiring metadata setup).  Project prompts don't support dynamic prompt values.

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.
sasecn
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for your reply.

Just thinking about a way workaround. If I could create a prompt using type "user enters values", then create another prompt that let user to select Yes or No to conditionally run a proc sql (if click Yes) to find the values that the user can enter, and ideally the values will displayed on screen. For example, sashelp.cars is the table that will be updated every time running the report, first prompt is let user to enter the values of Make, second prompt is to run a proc sql that get all the values of Make and displayed to user, then the user can see what values can be entered into the first prompt as needed. Just cannot figure out a better way  to display the values.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

If it helps, I do have this custom task. It might overcomplicate your scenario...but check it out.

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.
sasecn
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks. It is a good custom task. Unfortunately, I cannot copy the .dll file in sashome folder on my work computer since we have many restrictions on work device. 

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

You should be able to copy it to:

%appdata%\SAS\EnterpriseGuide\<version>\Custom (make the Custom folder if needed)

That's your user profile area, and you definitely have write access as it's where your EG preferences are stored.

You might also need to "unblock" the DLL (right-click on the DLL, Security tab).

Anyway, it might not scale as a solution for many users as they would all need the task installed in the same way -- but you should at least be able to try it yourself.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation