BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@paul2877 wrote:
I think this is a little out of my league.. I am at the mercy of the company, we only have EG 6.1 and I need to put this into a scheduler and it doesn't run off of my local pc.

Go back to to whoever asked for this and tell that they have not supplied you the source data yet.  What you are trying to read is a report, not a data transfer.  Ask for the data to be supplied in a format like CSV file that is easy to read.

Reeza
Super User

Can you provide a sample of the file?

paul2877
Calcite | Level 5
I cannot as its company owned. Basically it looks like an .xls file but when I open it and go to save it.. it prompts me as an .HTML file
Reeza
Super User

Create a replica that has the same features. Or preferably, open the file, mask the data, and then provide that file. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@paul2877 wrote:
I cannot as its company owned. Basically it looks like an .xls file but when I open it and go to save it.. it prompts me as an .HTML file

It IS an HTML file. Just because the name ends with .XLS does not mean the content is an Excel file in the XLS format. The content is pure HTML.  Excel is smart enough to detect that and will convert it into a spreadsheet for you.

Posting an example of the file will help others guide you in writing SAS code that can parse the data out of the HTML tags.

Open the file in a TEXT editor, not in Excel.  Change any company or personal details and save it back as a text file. If possible remove some of the rows of data (normally in an HTML file rows will be enclosed by <TR> and </TR> tags) to make the file smaller.

Also change the file extension on the saved file to .TXT instead of .XLS or .HTML so that if you post it to the forum we can browse it without downloading.

paul2877
Calcite | Level 5

So how can I get SAS to treat it as a text file and remove the html portion

Reeza
Super User

You can't, you have to parse it. 

If you have R try the htmltab() or the readHTMLTable().

paul2877
Calcite | Level 5

sorry.. can you provide me with an example how I can do this?

Reeza
Super User

Sure, but I/we need something to work with which is why we need demo files. 

paul2877
Calcite | Level 5

Reeza
Super User

There's no underlying HTML in that file.

paul2877
Calcite | Level 5

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi @paul2877, your attachments here are not openable by Excel because they are missing parts.  Have you tried to open them locally?  Really no point posting them here if you can't even open them with your own instance of Excel.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
paul2877
Calcite | Level 5

Here you go

Reeza
Super User

@paul2877 wrote:

Here you go

File is corrupt and will not open on my machine, Excel 2010....

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation