BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
gneccao
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

i have a dll to connect and execute commands in SaS, i´ve had use this dll for a long time, but i never needed to import a text with brazilians symbols (ã,ç , õ).

I have tried to import that type of data, but when i do that, the dataset that is the result.

erro - sas.png

I try to find the solution to change the default language or use encode (iso-8995-1), but i cannot find anything that can help me.

Has someone had this problem so far? Or can help me with the solution?

PS: Sorry if i post in the wrong Location.

Thank you,

Raphael Gnecco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gneccao
Obsidian | Level 7
Changing the TransferMode to Binary, appears to solve my problem.

Thank you for the Help.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Can you be more specific about the DLL you're using?  Is it a custom task for SAS Enterprise Guide? Where did it come from?

SAS has encoding nuances -- usually we recommend a UTF-8 encoding for your SAS session.  But .NET (C#) also has encoding directives when reading/writing text files.  Your DLL (assuming it's a custom task) might have a limitation here.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
gneccao
Obsidian | Level 7

@ChrisHemedinger,

I use a dll where createa ObjectByServer,

SASObjectManager.IObjectFactory2 obObjectFactory = new SASObjectManager.ObjectFactoryMulti2();
            SASObjectManager.ServerDef obServer = new SASObjectManager.ServerDef();
            obServer.MachineDNSName = Host;
            obServer.Protocol = SASObjectManager.Protocols.ProtocolBridge;
            obServer.Port = Port;
            obServer.ClassIdentifier = "440196d4-90f0-11d0-9f41-00a024bb830c";

_workspace = (Workspace)obObjectFactory.CreateObjectByServer(
                Name, true,
                obServer,
                // if trying IWA, pass null in
                // otherwise try supplied credentials
                string.IsNullOrEmpty(UserId) ? null : UserId,
                string.IsNullOrEmpty(Password) ? null : Password);

objectKeeper.AddObject(1, Name, _workspace);

_workspace.LanguageService.Submit(codigo);

In the .NET, i was already using the enconding (iso-8995-1). But i think the problem was i don´t have a custom LanguageService, i was using the default, and i believe the default is using UTF-8.

i cannot using UTF-8, because the Brazilians symbols, most of the is part of the Company name.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, not really knowing anything about the process its hard to say (i.e. whats being called).  But SAS handles encodings either by system startup or in some cases you can push that onto the code:

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=nlsref&docsetTarget=n0utx4w7x4exijn1wt7pk0srrxz5.htm&docsetVe...

If you have special characters, then its likely you will want UTF8 or 16 as your character set, this tends to be defined at a system level though, so you would need to discuss with your SAS group.  You may be able to add the bit from the link I post into the code you are calling though.  Again discuss with someone who can actually look at the issue as a whole.

gneccao
Obsidian | Level 7

@RW9,

I´m using the ENCODING="LATIN1",  i already try to but, "UTF-8" and "iso-8995-1", but doesn´t change the result.

DATA PROTOCOL;
FORMAT
PROTOCOLO $CHAR10.
ASSUNTO $CHAR175.
ENVIADOPOR $CHAR54.
DATAEMAIL DATETIME18.;
INFILE '/DESENV/BoasVindas/file.txt'
LRECL=243
ENCODING="LATIN1"
TERMSTR=LF
DLM='$'
MISSOVER
DSD ;
INPUT
PROTOCOLO : $CHAR10.
ASSUNTO : $CHAR175.
ENVIADOPOR : $CHAR54.
DATAEMAIL : ?? ANYDTDTM19.;
RUN;

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I think you might need to set your SAS session encoding to UTF-8.  That can be set only at the session start from the command line or the SASV9.cfg.  Your .NET code that launches the server can't control this -- it has to be set in the Workspace options where the SAS application workspace is defined.  It's not just a simply matter of specifying encoding preferences -- the process has to load different modules that can handle the multibyte nature of UTF-8 data.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
gneccao
Obsidian | Level 7

@ChrisHemedinger,

The problem is, in the Enterprise Guide it´s works perfectly. The problem occurs only when use the dll.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

@gneccao What's your set up?

Where is the data file?  On your local machine or on the remote SAS session?

Where does SAS run?  Is it a remote server?

How does the data file get to the SAS session?  Does your C# code move it there or is it already in place when the DLL process is running?

If the C# code is reading the data file and copying it to SAS, then that's where the encoding could be lost.

If both the DLL and SAS EG are working with the file already in place on the SAS session location, then are you sure the SAS session is launched with the same arguments?  Check the encoding properties of the server in EG -- look at the Servers list, right-click on the server name, select Properties, Software tab.  That will show the encoding.

enc.png

gneccao
Obsidian | Level 7

Where is the data file? On your local machine or on the remote SAS session?
   - I create the file in local machine.

Where does SAS run? Is it a remote server?
   - Yes, it´s a remote server

How does the data file get to the SAS session? Does your C# code move it there or is it already in place when the DLL process is running?
   - I create the file in c# code and use WinSCP to transfer to SaS host.

If the C# code is reading the data file and copying it to SAS, then that's where the encoding could be lost.
   - I don´t think the problema is here, because i create a file using the encode, then i transfer to SaS.

If both the DLL and SAS EG are working with the file already in place on the SAS session location, then are you sure the SAS session is launched with the same arguments? Check the encoding properties of the server in EG -- look at the Servers list, right-click on the server name, select Properties, Software tab. That will show the encoding.

sas info.png

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

When you use WinSCP to transfer the file, are you transferring as a text file or as binary?  If as text, the encoding might be adjusted as part of the transmission.  EG transfers the files (usually) as binary to avoid encoding mismatches.

gneccao
Obsidian | Level 7
I´m using TransferMode.Automatic, so probably is going with text. Do you think i change to binary might resolve the problem?.

I gonna test and reply the result.
gneccao
Obsidian | Level 7
Changing the TransferMode to Binary, appears to solve my problem.

Thank you for the Help.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation