BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BigZ
Calcite | Level 5
Hi
I have a problem where I need to read in excel file in to EG. This file excel file has names of organizations and some of names have apostrophe (').
Ex. Kids' Organization Inc.
So I get following warning
WARNING: The quoted string currently being processed has become more than 262 characters long. You may have unbalanced quotation marks.

Any suggestions how I might avoid this problem.
6 REPLIES 6
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
What version of EGuide and SAS? The method of reading Excel changed from 4.1 to 4.2. Also, are you working with the Excel file in place or converting it to a SAS dataset; those choices also affect how the file is read.
BigZ
Calcite | Level 5
My EG is version 4.2, and the SAS version is 9.2

And concerning the reading in the file. I am attempting to make the excel file in to a SAS dataset. That way I can use it whenever I need it.
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I used
Open --> data
pointed to the spreadsheet, and it imported fine (using 4.2 and 9.2 TS2M2).

You may need to open a track with tech support.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi Bigz,
Can you try ...tools - options - sas programs

Under additional SAS code -- check insert custom SAS code before submitting code and click edit.

Add the following line
options validvarname=v7;

then try to read excel file in EG. lemme know how it goes.
RichardH_sas
SAS Employee
I believe in version 4.2, on the last screen of the wizard there are a couple options about removing problem characters or putting the values into the code itself. You might try one or both of those to see if it resolves the problem. Maybe not... but that's the best I've got right now. 🙂
Patrick
Opal | Level 21
Try in step 2 of the import wizard "Rename columns to comply with SAS naming conventions". That should resolve the issue.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation