BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
reddy19
Calcite | Level 5
i'm newbie to SAS....I'm using an environment where SAS server is connected to oracle.And using EG to perform queries on database.

Causing performance issue on the SAS Server(which is production server)...is there any way i can get the data into local machine as sas dataset...Is this also cause performance issue.

In this set up what is the best way to Access data.........If i want to do this on local machine,what are all the required software requirement.

Thanks,
Bhavani.
4 REPLIES 4
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Reddy19,

See this thread for some comments about the issues.

http://support.sas.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=14565&tstart=0

It may not be the SAS server at all; it could be the method you are using to connect to the database. Storing the data locally will not help if you are still doing the analyses on the (remote) server; it just changes the location of the bottleneck.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15
I agree with Doc. It is almost never more efficient to run your SAS processing on your local machine. It can be complicated to figure out why a remote SAS server is running slowly against an even more remote database. Some areas to check:
1. Is the query against Oracle returning the correct records, and is it running efficiently (using indexes, etc.)
2. Is the communications pipe between the Oracle server and your SAS server fast enough?
3. Are you getting the data from your Oracle server only once, and then processing it efficiently in SAS? (Sometimes because of inefficient coding, the data bounces back and forth between servers).

It can be difficult when you're new to this environment. Posting clips from the logs can help people with more experience to advise you.
reddy19
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Tom,

1)If i run that query directly on database it is working fine.
Final table contains around 1.2 million records.

2)i'm running three quires on databse....to get final result combining those three tables results...using point and click interface,i can't able to run whole query once.

3)so the results are stored on sas server...oracle server sending back requests to SAS server to execute query...which is causing load on sas server.

Can i done this through programing?....so that i can send whole query once.

Can you send me some example,how can i do it through programming.

Thanks,
reddy.
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Reddy,

See the SAS Companion for Relational Databases. It has an example of how to submit a pass-thru query to Oracle. You can put that in a programming task in EGuide.

For general information on setting up programming tasks in EGuide, see Chris' article from a past SUGI.
http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi30/019-30.pdf

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation