BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jxc518
Calcite | Level 5

Hello SAS Community:

I try to run a regression Tree (PROC HPSPLIT) in SAS EG and PC SAS. I list my PC SAS version and SAS EG version as follow.

My PC SAS Version: ---- Software 9.4 (TS1M3)

My SAS EG Version: ---- 7.12 HF7 (7.100.2.3491) (64-bit)

Here are what I can not do and what I can do.

(1) to run the following code in PC SAS (local environment) always correct outputs including 16 nodes. However, I can not run the same code in PC SAS under "RSUBMIT", which is remote Teradata environment.

PROC HPSPLIT data= Mydata seed=123 ;
   class  x1 x2 x3 x4 ;
   model  Y_continuous = x1 x2 x3 x4  ;
   PRUNE   REDUCEDERROR (LEAVES = 30 );
   output OUT = hpspl_output_file_v1 ;
   code file= "DTree_score_output_v1.sas"; 
run;

(2) to run the same code in SAS EG (remote Teradata environment) always creates some syntax errors. After twisting SAS code, I can run a different version of HPSPLIT in SAS EG without syntax errors. However, the output is not what I expected.

PROC HPSPLIT data= Mydata seed=123 
                /*   ASSIGNMISSING = similar nodes
             cvmodelfit  splitonce  */
                   /* LEAFSIZE = 500  */
                   maxdepth = 8  maxbranch= 3
     MISSING = SIMILARITY
   ;
   class  x1 x2 x3 x4 ;
   model Y_contionuous = x1 x2 x3 x4  ;
   PRUNE  ASE ; 
   output /* OUT = hpspl_output_file_v1 */
          PRUNESUBTREE= WORK.QC_2
          IMPORTANCE = work.QC_3
     ;
  code file= "/......my directory in Unix...../"Tree_score_output_v1.sas"; 
run;

Can some one advise me how to run HPSPLIT in SAS EG (remote Teradata environment) and get same/similar outputs and results as in PC SAS (local environment)?

Many thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
ballardw
Super User

With syntax errors best is to copy the code and messages from log and paste into a code box opened on the forum using the {I} menu icon to preserve any formatting and locations of diagnostic characters that appear in the error. The main windows will reformat such messages possibly masking where the error was found by SAS.

Unexpected results? Post the expectation and the actual result to show and describe the differences. Since we do not have your data or environment there really isn't any way to know what may be missing, extra or unexpected values.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The behavior of HPSPLIT was enhanced in one of the SAS 9.4 releases, or more importantly the SAS/STAT releases (12.1, 13.1, 14.1).  Run proc product_status in each of your environments to see the different versions that you might be working with.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
jxc518
Calcite | Level 5

Hey Chris:

Thanks for your reply. Here are the SAS/STAT version of my SAS EG and PC SAS, after I run "

proc product_status ; run ; "

SAS EG:

For Base SAS Software ...

Custom version information: 9.4_M2

Image version information: 9.04.01M2P072314

For SAS/STAT ...

Custom version information: 13.2

For SAS/GRAPH ...

Custom version information: 9.4_M2

PC SAS:

For Base SAS Software ...

Custom version information: 9.4_M3

Image version information: 9.04.01M3P062415

For SAS/STAT ...

Custom version information: 14.1

For SAS/GRAPH ...

For SAS/FSP ...

For SAS/AF ...

For SAS/IML ...

Custom version information: 14.1

For SAS/ASSIST ...

Custom version information: 9.4

Image version information: 9.04.01M0P061913

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Here's the What's New in HPSPLIT in SAS/Stat 14.1.  Maybe this explains some of the differences.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
ballardw
Super User

I would expect to see something like this in the product_status output form "PC SAS" if installed:

For High Performance Suite ...
   Custom version information: 2.2_M5

but then I don't run in a server mode so results may vary.

jxc518
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I just checked my SAS EG and PC SAS. My SAS EG and PC SAS have different versions of High Performance Suite. PC SAS has better version (2.2_M4), while SAS EG has version of 2.2_M3.

Here are my experiences of using PC SAS to run HPSPLIT. If I run HPSPLIT in  the local status in PC SAS, HPSPLIT runs smoothly. However, if I try to run HPSPLIT in the server model in PC SAS (i.e. using "RSUBMIT" and "ENDRSUBMIT"), I always run into various issues. It is similar to what I see in SAS EG (which is automatically in the server mode).

Can we say that HPSPLIT can only work in the local status, NOT in the server model?

SAS EG:

Custom version information: 2.2_M3

PC SAS:

Custom version information: 2.2_M4

Thanks,

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The difference is due to the level of software you're running on the server.  Your local SAS is more current than the remote server that you access via EG or SAS/CONNECT.  If you could manage to update your server version, then the same code would work as expected when running via EG.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation