BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
naveenraj
Quartz | Level 8

Hi ,

I have a sas dataset with some columns. I need to change the variable name of the dataset as that variable name is producing an error when i am trying to register the table in metadata. How can i rename the variable if i know only part of the variable name.

Regards,

Naveen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Do the following in a program window first:

data dataset;
set dataset;
rename 'test?_name'n = test_name;
run;

You should then be able to register the dataset.

It may be necessary to copy the variable name from the proc contents output and paste it into the string delimited by the single quotes, to avoid problems by different character representations.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

What do you mean that you only know a part of the name?

What kind of error do you get during registration?

Please show the real life example/elaborate more about the situation.

Data never sleeps
naveenraj
Quartz | Level 8

ERROR: Character is unclassifiable.

I think this is because of column name. so only i was asking how to rename a column. On seaching column name using proc content i got name as 

test?_name of type num and length 8.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Do the following in a program window first:

data dataset;
set dataset;
rename 'test?_name'n = test_name;
run;

You should then be able to register the dataset.

It may be necessary to copy the variable name from the proc contents output and paste it into the string delimited by the single quotes, to avoid problems by different character representations.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If this is a SAS dataset, you generally use PROC DATSETS to do this.

But you should be able to see the actual columns name if you issue a non-mete libname to the loaction of your SAS data files.

What is the setting of validvarname in the environment? And where did this data got created?

Data never sleeps
naveenraj
Quartz | Level 8

how to check the setting of validvarname. Sorry i have not changed any system settings in my environment. So i am not sure which autoexec file should i check

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
It's paramount to understand how and where system options are set.
Proc options;
Run;
Will give you the current setting in the workspace server (given execution in EG or DI Studio).
The setting "could" be different in the Metadata server, but that's unlikely if you haven't changed anything since initial setup.
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation