BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi, I'm new to SAS EG. (no programming background). when I import this excel file into sas (File > Import data > Local Computer >reports.xls).
it gives me this pop up
Import Data with 3 options, Region to Import, Column Options & Results. I click RUN
the reports excel file looks like this
IN OUT
3:56 PM 4:56 PM
6:18 PM 6:48 PM
11:09 AM 11:25 AM

SAS converts it into
30DEC1899:03:56:00 PM 30DEC1899:04:56:00 PM
30DEC1899:06:18:00 PM 30DEC1899:06:48:00 PM
30DEC1899:11:09:00 AM 30DEC1899:11:25:00 AM

WHERE IS IT GETTING 30DEC1899 FROM ???
Please help.
Also, is there a INFILE code to import this file into SAS EG. I have this file saved on my desktop (reports.xls).
Jay
3 REPLIES 3
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
SAS imports Excel times as date-times; I think because Excel stores it as a date-time "under the hood". So it takes the Excel file and does the best it can. If you had formated the Excel column as a Date-Time, it would have shown the first as 1/0/00 3:56 PM and that is what SAS is trying to convert into a **valid** datetime value in SAS.

Time arithmetic still works, so OUT-IN would result in the number of seconds between the two times. (Warning-- it can get messy when the time wraps around to the next day).

You can convert the date time to a time by

IN -('30Dec1988'd * (24*60*60) )

and change the format.

If you have a separate date field (say DateIn), you can convert the IN variable in SAS to a valid SAS datetime by

IN + (DateIn -'30Dec1899'D)*(24*60*60)

(read the SAS Base manual about Dates & Times to understand what I did.).

Without exporting the Excel spreadsheet as a .csv file, I don't know how to use INFILE to get the data in.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Have you tried the SCANTIME=YES option (valid both in proc import and libname excel)? Make sure that your Excel file does not have any date or datetime values in your time columns.

/Linus
Data never sleeps
deleted_user
Not applicable
When you get pop up Import Data with 3 options go to Column Options. Find trouble field. And at right you seen window, where you may find "Display format". Choose format that you nedeed, and enjoy )

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation