BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
alepage
Barite | Level 11

Hello,

I have a SAS programs that call other SAS programs, visit many folders and subfolders, execute many functions and other SAS programs and so on.  Is there a tool availble to follow process flow , either a Unix Script or a SAS one, to better understand a process with no supporting documentation.

I need to get a global idea of this process because we will probably move it to the Cloud Platform in a near future.

I need to understand / know, which SAS functions and programs are essential and which table are read and which one are produced in order to make a good cleanup and may be refined the code with the new tools into the cloud (SAS Viya)

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

There is really only one tool that can pick apart a complex SAS application to gain a high level of understanding of what it is doing and the outputs it is producing and that is your brain.

There are tools that can parse SAS logs and report on what data is being read and output and what types of SAS processes are being run. PROC SCAPROC can  analyse your SAS logs to identify all inputs and outputs plus the types of processing being done. Your brain needs to look at these results to use your expert knowledge to turn those findings into understanding. 

alepage
Barite | Level 11

Hello, I am not familiar at all with the procedure.  Will it be better to add some options such as options mlogic mprint source2 before executing the SAS code to obtain a more detailed log file to use afterwards with proc scaproc .  Is it better to append the 4 logs files produced during the process execution or it is better to scan each file with the proc scaproc?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

MPRINT is probably the best macro option to add as you can then see the resolved source code in your logs. If you are doing regular production work I'd recommend running that in batch mode which means you get one SAS log per job.

What you've asked to do is complicated to set up and also to maintain. Personally I don't think it is worth the hassle and I prefer a much lighter touch to administering SAS applications.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation