BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rmwachter
Calcite | Level 5
I have a set of SQL tables with defined indexes on an iSeries. The DB2 library they are in is defined to SAS and I can access the data. When I use PROC SQL statements to query the data, I can see that the DB2 engine on the back-end is able to use the correct index on the SQL table to access the data. However, when I switch over to EG4 and use the query builder the process seems to ignore the indexes and reads through the entire table. Do I need to identify the indexes to EG or is there a way to force EG to make use of the indexes?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Have you tried to define a LIBNAME explicitly for the database? If you just use Open --> Data and select a data source, EGuide generally brings all the data to the client and then sends it to the SAS server for processing.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
The query builder also generates PROC SQL code. We would have to compare what EG generates with your hand-written code to see what the difference might be.

The EG query builder does not currently leverage the index information when you design the query, but the PROC SQL that results is processed by SAS (and in turn, by the database), so the indexes should be used as appropriate.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation