BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JayG
Calcite | Level 5

I have entered a sample program in EG program editor and select the test and run. I got a message saying that 'Unable to run this item. The server is not defined in the current repository'. I don't have any servers to connect. Is it possible to run a program in EG without connecting to a server? Thanks for your time and help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

A quick method to see if EG can find a local installed SAS:

Select Help->About SAS Enterprise Guide.  In the About window, click Configuration Details.  You'll see a window with lots of details, including this:

localsas.png

If the "SAS System version" reports as "None" -- then EG cannot detect a local SAS installation.

If you know that you have a local SAS install, you might need to ensure it's registered for use.  Or you might need to configure your metadata profile connection to allow "Local" to show up in your list of servers.

See all of the details in this article: Using SAS Enterprise Guide with your local SAS installation.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
Reeza
Super User

As long as you have a local set up yes. If you click the little arrow besides Run it should say run on local. Otherwise you have a set up problem somewhere.

Can your do anything else in EG?

JayG
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for quick reply. I don't see 'Run on Local' in Run menu. I can see 'Run' and 'Run Selection' (Disable mode). I can perform other operations like create project, programs, import data etc. I am very new to SAS. Do i need to make any configuration changes to set up 'Local'? Thank You.

MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

EG needs to connect to SAS somewhere to run the SAS code EG generates. EG by itself is not SAS. You either connect to a SAS server or SAS locally (SAS installed on the same machine as EG). It seems that you may need to install SAS.

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

Hey J - you can write program - right click on it and choose option 'run locally' from server selection option or direct option...

this way you can check if its running or not - if not describe error message, someone can explain

Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

At the very least, EG requires one server to run programs or tasks. The "server" can be local, but whether a local server exists and associated configuration settings may be controlled by your SAS Administrator.

The first thing you need to check is whether a local server has been defined. On the Menu Bar, select View --> Server List. (Note: this is not the only way to access the server list).

In the Server List pane (by default, this pane will appear on the lower left side of EG), expand the server list by clicking on the "+". This should allow you to see a server called "Local". If you can see the server called "Local", left-click on it and SAS will try to connect to it by default. Wait a few seconds while SAS does it's magic. Eventually, SAS/EG will connect (or not).

If you cannot see a "Local" server or if EG fails to connect to the Local server, then you have a problem.

If you have a successful connection to a "Local" server, then you need to make sure that your code is set to run on the Local server.

In the Process Flow window, RIGHT click on your code icon and select Select Server --> Local. (You can also do this in the Project Tree window). You will probably have to do this for each code object if you have more than one. Then, try running your process flow again.

JayG
Calcite | Level 5

I don't see any 'Local' under Servers in EG. Do i need to install SAS separately for local server?

Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

During a typical EG install, SAS should automatically install any SAS software it needs. EG is basically a client/application interface, with the SAS engine doing the heavy lifting behind the scenes.

Have you set up a connection profile?

* In SAS Enterprise Guide, select Tools --> SAS Enterprise Guide Explorer --> File --> Manage Profiles --> Profiles --> Add

* create a local server named Local and check Local (under Machine)

JayG
Calcite | Level 5

I have tried creating a profile as you recommended. I am not sure which credentials that i need to specify. I have selected IWA, but connection is not working. Are there any default credentials for SAS Metadata Repository?

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

As others already said SAS EG is the client (client tier). To execute SAS programs you need to connect to a SAS Server (compute tier). To be able to create such a connection you need to authenticate yourself on the SAS Metadata server (mid tier).

In order to authenticate yourself you need a SAS Metadata identity defined. This paper should give you some insights of how this works: http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/420-2013.pdf

IWA must be configured in your environment in order to use it. From what you've told us so far I doubt that this is the case in your environment.

If you have a local installation of SAS then you can also use EG without any metadata server and you don't need to define a profile at all.

Capture.PNG

This will then let you use your locally installed SAS without the need for any further configuration.

Capture.PNG

Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

Don't select IWA unless you are configured for it, as Patrick pointed out. Don't set a login or pw. Once you've added the Local Server, you should be able to see it in your server list.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

@Fugue, It would make sense JayG would tell explain:

a/ his role, b/ what is expected from him, c/ what information he has, d/ what he has running  e/ wich contacts fo support he has etc.etc.

We can give a lot of advices, but as seen the questions with responses there is clearly some misunderstanding.  

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

I agree, Jaap. I was trying to keep it simple as I didn't want to overload JayG. SAS/EG is not the most user-friendly product to get up and running, as you know.

And as Patrick pointed out, JayG should be able to set up a Local server without a connection profile. But, setting up a connection profile to Local without any credentials should accomplish that.

If JayG cannot create and connect to a Local server, then I think we should explore all those questions you raise.

JayG
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you all for your wonderful replies.

As some of you recommended, i could not create a 'Local' connection profile. When i click on new connection, i can enter name as 'Local' and select 'localhost'. The next step is to enter credentials or IWA. If i don't enter credentials or don't select IWA, 'Save' button is disabled. So, i could not save Local profile.

When i open EG, there is a profile in connections box with name '<do not use a profile>'. I can select that, but could not set active. When i close the Connections box, i am seeing 'No profile selected' in bottom right corner. I could not run any program in EG with this set up.

Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

Perhaps one of the members with more experience in 5.1 can help you with this? I'm running 4.3, and the setup is a little different.

As per Jaap's question(s), did you install EG yourself or did your SAS Administrator install it? What version of EG are you running (Help --> About Enterprise Guide)?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 12 in conversation