BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
marnau901e
Calcite | Level 5

Hi everyone!

I would like to increase the memsize setting (from 2G to 8G) because my program stops and sends me the error message 'out of memory'. I'm aware of the solution provided here: http://support.sas.com/kb/40/480.html. But I don't understand how I can do it.

If the information can help, I'm using SAS EG in my local machine.

Thanks for your answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

OK, the only step I see that might cause it is the proc univariate, but with only one variable and 500k observations that should not pose a problem. But i will leave that to others who are more familiar with it.

Can you infer from the log which if the steps causes the memory overflow?

Since you have a local SAS (and no metadata infrastructure), setting the memsize in the main sasv9.cfg located in the Program Files\SAS\SASFoundation\9.4 directory should work.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

With a memsize of 2G, your problem might come from a mistaken way to use a procedure or data step.

Please post your code.

Setting the memsize must occur when a SAS process starts, from the configuration file or the commandline.

Which server do you use in EG? "Local" or another?

marnau901e
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Kurt for your answer.

Please find appended the code.

Briefly, it aims to estimate a risk associated with a bootstrapped 95%CI (500 replicates) for about a thousand of drug/event pairs. The calculations are based on a population table of 500k persons.

I use the server 'local' in SAS EG.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

OK, the only step I see that might cause it is the proc univariate, but with only one variable and 500k observations that should not pose a problem. But i will leave that to others who are more familiar with it.

Can you infer from the log which if the steps causes the memory overflow?

Since you have a local SAS (and no metadata infrastructure), setting the memsize in the main sasv9.cfg located in the Program Files\SAS\SASFoundation\9.4 directory should work.

marnau901e
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks a lot Kurt! I achieved to increase the memsize thanks to your advice.

The log does not indicate any helpful information about the causes of the memory overflow...

As you, I assume that the problem comes from the bootstrap process, but I don't know which point exactly.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The best advice I can give is to extract the code from the macro, set the macro variables manually and let the steps run one by one.

It's best to do the "macro-izing" of code after the steps work on their own.

Also add %put statements in the macro to help identify which macro iteration (if you have such) leads to the crash, if you can't test it manually owing to too many iterations.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation