BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
_el_doredo
Quartz | Level 8

Hello Experts,

I have a table in which column A contains dataset names. Now I need to create a new dataset with number of observation available in each dataset. I have provided my data below and my expected output as well.

Dataset_Name Library
Product REF_TAB
Sales REF_TAB
Sales_History REF_TAB
Payment REF_TAB
Payment_history REF_TAB

DATASET_NAME variable value is the name of the datasets. Now I need to find the number of observations of each dataset(no of observations in Product dataset, no of observations in Sales dataset and so on)

My expected output is like this

Dataset_Name Library Count
Product REF_TAB 1,56,658
Sales REF_TAB 1,86,698
Sales_History REF_TAB 1,54,472
Payment REF_TAB 3,22,669
Payment_history REF_TAB 1,54,423

Thanks in advance

10 REPLIES 10
Kurt_Bremser
Super User
proc sql;
create table want as
  select
    t1.library,
    t1.dataset_name,
    t2.nobs
  from have t1
  inner join dictionary.tables t2
  on upcase(t1.library) = t2.libname and
  upcase(t1.dataset_name) = t2.memname
;
quit;
_el_doredo
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for your answer. However, it's not working. I am not able to fetch count using the code you provided.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

What about it is not working? Please describe in detail (and please in the future don't tell us it is "not working" without explaining what is not working).

If there is an error in the log, please show us the log (not just the error messages) for this block of code. If the results are wrong, show us what is wrong and explain the results you are expecting.

--
Paige Miller
_el_doredo
Quartz | Level 8

Sorry my bad. Actually, the code which provided here will work fine if library is in SAS. But library REF_TAB is assigned to a tera data. That's why count is not displaying when I ran the code. Is there any way we can fetch the tera data table count in SAS?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I don't think you can use that SAS code to count the number of records in a Teradata (or any other database) table. Perhaps @Kurt_Bremser has other suggestions for Teradata.

--
Paige Miller
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Upload your reference dataset to a temporary table in the DB. Run a similar query in explicit passthrough, using the DB's dictionary tools, and then download the result.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

SAS does not know how many observations are in a foreign database.  And reading the links posted on other threads it does not look like Teradata knows either.  So you will have to issue queries to count the observations.  A separate query for each dataset.

You might use something like the loop in this macro:

https://github.com/sasutils/macros/blob/master/dslist.sas

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Looks like the same idea posted before.  It depends on the table statistics being up to date.  So for a stable database with good management it would help.

But it would not help with views.

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @_el_doredo 

Libraries based on SAS/ACCESS Interface to <RDBMS> (Oracle, Hive, Teradata, Snowflake,....etc) will not have all the table's characteristics/properties in the SAS dictionary tables/views, nor in the Data Set header portion.

So to get Row/Observation count for external <RDBMS> table, your two options are:

• Query the <RDBMS> internal dictionary/system tables (Efficient). For Teradata, check these links 

https://dbmstutorials.com/teradata/teradata_data_dictionary_queries.html

https://dataedo.com/kb/query/teradata/list-of-tables-by-the-number-of-rows

• Issue Select count(*) query for every table in your list (can be Inefficient)! Not desired for large tables, if the database does not save this info ! 

Hope this helps,

Ahmed

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation