BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Yiting
Quartz | Level 8

In Enterprise Guide, if I have a table like this

REGIOGESLACHTVOORLETTERSXXX_REGIOXXX_GESLACHTXXX_VOORLETTERS
1A1R.H.M.B1R.H.L.
2A2D.A.A1D.A.
3B1A.A2A.
4A1S.B.M.J.A1S.B.M.K.
5A2

I have sorted by GESLACHT (first) and REGIO (which is a time variable) (second) and then within each value of GESLACHT, I want to see if its VOORLETTERS is increasing or decreasing. I want an extra column to indicate this. If given a GESLACHt, its VOORLETTERS is always increasing, give all the rows with this GESLACHT 1 and otherwise, 0 in the extra column. How can I do this?

(Sorry I stole the table from another user, but the question is different).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

It's important to note that Inter01 only has one line for the entire region/product grouping, indicating if ANY of the transitions between the previous and the current record wasn't ascending.

Here's a little different version of the program. It writes a line to Inter02 for every record, so you can see how AscendingFlag is set. It's important to note that it's a toggle; as soon as it gets set to zero, it stays that way for the rest of the grouping.

Tom

proc sort data=sashelp.shoes out=work.Have(keep=REGION PRODUCT INVENTORY);
	by REGION PRODUCT;
run;

data Inter01 Inter02;
	retain OldINVENTORY AscendingFlag;
	set Have;
	by REGION PRODUCT;

if first.PRODUCT then
		do;
			OldINVENTORY=.;
			AscendingFlag=1;
		end;

if INVENTORY > OldINVENTORY then;
	else AscendingFlag=0;
	OldINVENTORY=INVENTORY;

if last.PRODUCT then
		output Inter01;
	output Inter02;
run;

proc sql;
	create table Want as select h.*, f.AscendingFlag from Have h inner join 
		Inter01 f on(h.REGION=f.REGION and h.PRODUCT=f.PRODUCT);
quit;

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

There's something contradictory in your question.

First you say, "I have sorted by GESLACHT (first) and VOORLETTERS (second)".

Then you say, "within each value of GESLACHT, I want to see if its VOORLETTERS is increasing or decreasing".

If you have sorted by VOORLETTERS, they will always be ascending, won't they?

Perhaps a different example would make it clearer to us.

Tom

Yiting
Quartz | Level 8

You are very right! I have changed the variables sorted. Could you have a look at it again? Thanks!

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Makes a little more sense! To have something I could test, I used sashelp.cars, and substituted REGION, PRODUCT, and INVENTORY for GESLACHT, REGIO, and VOORLETTERS.

The PROC SORT at the start isn't part of the solution, it just gets the data in the right sequence.

This isn't exhaustively tested, so make sure it's actually doing what you want!

Tom

by REGION PRODUCT;
run;

data Inter01;
	keep REGION PRODUCT AscendingFlag;
	set Have;
	by REGION PRODUCT;

if first.PRODUCT then
		do;
			OldINVENTORY=.;
			AscendingFlag=1;
		end;

else
		AscendingFlag=0;
	OldINVENTORY=INVENTORY;

if last.PRODUCT then
		output;
run;

proc sql;
quit;
Yiting
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, thank a lot! but I am still trying to understand OldINVENTORY variable. How was it defined? Why does it not appear in the Inter01 table?

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

No problem!

I'm creating OldINVENTORY to hang on to the value of INVENTORY from the previous record. AscendingFlag is first set to 1, which is the "regularity" condition (all of the INVENTORY values are ascending within REGION and PRODUCT). Then, if an INVENTORY value is greater than the one in the record before, I set AscendingFlag to 0 (there is at least one case of the exception).

I restrict which variables appear in Inter01 with the "keep" statement. If you comment it out, you'll see the working values as they change, which might make things a little clearer.

Tom

Yiting
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

Thanks a lot. I probably have not expressed myself right... In your output, from line 3 to 4 and from line 4 to 5, Inventory is increasing, but AsendingFlag did not identify them as 1... 😉

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

It's important to note that Inter01 only has one line for the entire region/product grouping, indicating if ANY of the transitions between the previous and the current record wasn't ascending.

Here's a little different version of the program. It writes a line to Inter02 for every record, so you can see how AscendingFlag is set. It's important to note that it's a toggle; as soon as it gets set to zero, it stays that way for the rest of the grouping.

Tom

by REGION PRODUCT;
run;

data Inter01 Inter02;
	set Have;
	by REGION PRODUCT;

if first.PRODUCT then
		do;
			OldINVENTORY=.;
			AscendingFlag=1;
		end;

else AscendingFlag=0;
	OldINVENTORY=INVENTORY;

if last.PRODUCT then
		output Inter01;
	output Inter02;
run;

proc sql;
quit;
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Yiting 

You need to sort by GESLACHT, VOORLETTERS, REGIO to guarantee that the sort order within a GESLACHT/VOORSLETTERS tuple remains in the required sequence for your analysis.

Astounding
PROC Star

Here's an approach. It's somewhat similar to the @TomKari suggestion, but uses your data and your variables.  First:

proc sort data=have;
   by geslacht regio;
run;

Then check for ascending values (top DO loop) and output the results (bottom DO loop).

data want;
   ascending=1;
   do until (last.geslacht);
      set have;
      by geslacht;
      if voorletters <= prior_voorletters then ascending=0;
      prior_voorletters = voorletters;
   end;
   do until (last.geslacht);
      set have;
      by geslacht;
      output;
   end;
run;

This logic assumes that equal values fail on the "ascending" test.  If you want to allow equal values as part of an ascending pattern, you can change the comparison ( <= would become < instead).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation