BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Placeholder
Calcite | Level 5

I am attempting to join fairly large data sets (one is over 27 GB) and I keep encountering the following errors. I have successfully run this job in the past, but the slow buildup of data each month appears to have surpassed what my SAS EG is configured for.

ERROR: Insufficient space in file WORK.'SASTMP-000000061'.UTILITY.

ERROR: File WORK.'SASTMP-000000061'.UTILITY is damaged. I/O processing did not complete.

ERROR: There is not enough WORK disk space to store the results of an internal sorting phase.

ERROR: An error has occurred.

Based on other sources online, I was guided to increase my SORTSIZE and MEMSIZE on the SASv9 config file (I did so by a factor of 5 - certainly more than enough), but this has not resolved the issue. I found this official information from SAS on increasing allocated WORK space, but I do not know what these values mean and I want to be careful before running unknown code. Moreover, the page recommends checking your default WORK library size but does not provide any info on how to do that (nor does anywhere else online I could find). So my two questions are:

1. How do I check my default WORK library size?
  2. What do the 500 and 1000 parameters mean in the code provided in the SAS support page?

To clear up some outstanding questions you may have, this is running on SAS 9.4 under Enterprise Guide 8.3.3.181. My source files are on my local disk, and I am writing to my local disk. I have checked my work directory in case there were large leftover files from previous jobs. I have also closed the SAS project and then opened and re-ran just this step to make sure my WORK directory is completely empty. I have executed select distinct on the join columns of all tables and found each returns with the same number of original rows (i.e. no duplicates can be generated). I have over 1 TB available on my local disk.

Thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You are running out of space in your disk storage, so increasing memory parameters won't help.

Please post the complete log (all code and messages) of the failing step.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I suggest you monitor your WORK disk usage while running this program by having Windows Explorer open on your local hard drive. What does this report regarding how much free space you have when you get these errors?

Ksharp
Super User
In order to redirect WORK library to other path,
Try adding the following option into SASV9.CFG .

-work "d:\temp\"
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @Placeholder 

If you are having files left over from the previous runs in the work directory then clean them using cleanwork utility. (https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/hostunx/n13ozwpq7az8v6n1s77r8c2zp9d1.htm)

As a general rule the size of the work directory is limited by the available space unless some of restrictions are placed by the OS Administrators.

The SAS support page you have referred (https://support.sas.com/kb/22/364.html) to pertains to Mainframe/z/os.
Are you running your code on a Z/OS machine?

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation