BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
marcus_daman
Calcite | Level 5

Hi there,

I have a question regarding a SAS Automation with using a prompt interface for filtering. But before coming to the question, I have some details about the environment:

- SAS Base 9.4 with using the application SAS EG 6.1 (Server on Windows Server Edition 2012 and local machine running with Windows 7) and the Microsoft Office Add-In 6.1

- Sybase database connection

Currently I receive requests to extract certain detailed data files for the end user with SAS, e.g. data sets with even more than 1,000,000 data lines and I want to allow the user to run the request by their own. The end user shall not interfere in any way with SAS (as much as possible).

I have tried out certain ways of enabling the user to this data request:

- First, I created a stored process to extract the data and add it to MS Excel via 'List Data' and ODS Output. The data lines are already split into certain Excel tabs to avoid the maximum capacity in Excel (not more than 1 mn lines per tab). However, the Excel file can now increase up to 740 MB, which is not suitable at all for the end user.

- As a second option, I wanted to schedule the project as a vbs-file. This is working properly, also with the Export Task for a csv-file. But unfortunately, I have included a prompt for filtering and it will only take the one from the initial stored run. In addition, it seems only be possible at a local drive and not on a shared drive. (Remark: Currently, I am not allowed to use the SAS Management Console as the SAS set-up is still in a project phase and the company wants to the split the Admin work from the analysts)

- The third option would be an auto executed process, while opening the SAS EG project. Unfortunately, the end user can mess up the project with additional or modified queries and I want to disable the end user from this task.

At the end, I would like to have an auto executed SAS project with no obvious interaction with SAS.

Do you have any suggestion for me?

Thank you very much in advance J

12 REPLIES 12
marcus_daman
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I thought the same but it will not help us. I do not want to start an "export-to-csv-process" e.g. within another Excel file. Then I started it in Outlook, that seems fine. However, other users struggle with the SAS Add-in in Outlook, hence we disabled the function the regarding users.

Can we start a stored process other than via a Microsoft Product? Or do you have another idea?

marcus_daman
Calcite | Level 5

Do you have any material, how to set-up the stored process server?

Now, I have to convince IT to set-up this server, and I would need some pro's and con's.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You can find documentation in the Web Application Administration Guide and the Application Server Administration Guide.

The Stored Process Server is defined in Metadata and started by the Object Spawner.

The Stored Process Application is part of the package that is deployed with the Enterprise BI Server and runs on a Web Application Server, usually JBOSS. That way the user only needs a browser to run a stored process.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

@kurt, A stored process can be run every SAS client  Eguide AMO and by Web clients (although there are differences). 
This is the web approach: SAS(R) 9.4 Stored Processes: Developer's Guide (Overview of Stored Process Web Applications)

These are all the clients: SAS(R) 9.4 Stored Processes: Developer's Guide (Which Clients Can Use SAS Stored Processes?)

This is how to build them  Eguide is probably the best tool to do that. SAS(R) 9.4 Stored Processes: Developer's Guide

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Yes, I used EG to develop a bunch of SP's that are designed to replace an old AppDev Studio Web App that we did back in 8.2 times. But I also had to do some work in HTML to get nice pages for the prompts that completely hide the SAS infrastructure behind that.

Of course the whole infrastructure (Remote Services, JBOSS, Web Apps) needs to be set up first, which may prove to be a major obstacle for the OP.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

@kurt, the midtier (jboss Rmi webapp) is not needed when running Stored processes by Eguide/Amo. These clients are not web-based on that level.  I know it is very confusing...

In the case of s stored process server there is only a need to add that (restart  object spawner) to the metadataserver. As OS files are created I would advice to use the related wizard for that. 

To get really confused, when you would like to run Enterprise Miner with the JAVA-desktop client you are needing the midtier.

This product is just using the same Workspace Server as Eguide that one focused as personal processes. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Yeah, I hear you Smiley Wink

But the OP made it quite clear that he doesn't want to confront his users with something like EG.

Given a large enough number of users, simply installing EG can prove to be a major PITA (I know from bitter recent experience).

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

I admit, that is where you right with that PITA experience. The problem not every tool is the right tool for all persons 

- Eguide is just suited for advanced business analysts and programmers including the staff supporting that.

- Amo is suited for the occasional user but you need supporting staff. The OP made already a remark this was causing issues and stopped this.

- Web-based the old SAS-portal and the new SAS-VA should do the work for newbies in SAS. Kurt I still agree with you.

Problem: The OP did not mention this in his environmental description he is rolling out.  

Fun my brain switched to holidays as pita being translated to bread. :smileysilly:

marcus_daman
Calcite | Level 5

Guys,

thank you a lot for your time. I will validate the answers with my colleagues Smiley Happy

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Understanding some things about the basics in the EIP approach will help.

The sizing of 1M record is still small for SAS that is not your biggest concern to worry about.

The workspace server is normally bind to interactive personal actions, Eguide DI AMO etc. by hat the identity of the SAS process behind would be logical your personal account.

As IT people are often very unlikely accepting the changes that are needed by this SAS approach they often are violating the normal IT policies by changing SAS. It could be they are using a shared generic account for this.  

The stored process Server however is designed to run a shared generic account. SAS does the switching on the user context. When you have sensitive data this switching could be a concern for auditabity and traceability. If you have that one setup you can also think on release-management. Only allowing approved tested programs to be run by your users.

Having that in place you can think about scheduling. Scheduling of Stored process are essentially scheduling SAS programs, SAS(R) 9.4 Stored Processes: Developer's Guide (proc STP)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation