BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SteveDavies
Calcite | Level 5

Hello

I'm looking for someone to help me with Enterprise Guide (7.11) if you can. I'm usually a Base SAS user and would quite often run a bit of code, review the results, then run the next bit of code and compare the results in the same output window. In EG it always pops up asking whether I want to replace results from previous run, or save changes to a new program. I don't want to do either. I want the same results in the same program so that I can then compare results without having two programs open.

I know you can remove the pop up box and always accept the replacement, but this is not the option I need to compare results. How do you compare results if running code in steps?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Copy your program to a new program, change the name of the output and run it.  Then compare the results to the first run.

SteveDavies
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, so it can't be done like it is in base SAS without copying or creating a new program?

tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Even in Base SAS, you have to have the 2nd results go to a different dataset to avoid overwriting the first set of results.  Same in EG.

Unless you're trying to do something different...sounded like you're trying to compare the results of 2 slightly different programs, right?

SteveDavies
Calcite | Level 5

Hopefully the example below might help with what I am asking:

proc means data=test n mean;

var age;

class sex;

run;

proc means data=test n mean;

var age;

class sex;

where num_children eq 0;

run;

If I run the first proc means in Base SAS review the output, then decide I want to see a comparison of the results where number of children is zero, I can run the second proc means and see the average ages of the two proc means in the same output window.

If I do the same in EG I could run the first one and see the output. When trying to run the second one it would ask me to replace or open it up in a new program. I don't want to do either because I want a comparison so I don't want to replace, and I don't want other programs being opened. To get them in the same output window I would need to run both bits of code at the same time. If they take time to run, or have other code in between this is not optimal.

Hopefully this makes it clearer.

Thanks

tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Use the output option for proc means and then you can use compare the results....maybe with proc compare. 🙂

SteveDavies
Calcite | Level 5

Ok, Thanks. it seems like there isn't a way to do it the same way as in Base SAS without writing additional code for something that should be really easy to do. Just another failing of Enterprise Guide hey!

tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I haven't used base SAS in 30 years, but I prefer to keep my outputs separate to reduce confusion.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation