BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
star68
Calcite | Level 5

I have fitted a distribution curve using gamma probability density distribution with 3 parameters.  The following are my codes:

proc nlin data=worker_distribution
method=marquardt ;
parameters alpha=3 beta=2 lambda=0.01 ;
model percentcount=pdf("gamma",ratio,alpha,beta)*lambda;
output out=fitworker predicted=predworker parms= alpha beta lambda;
run;

How do I create the cdf in SAS EG based on the fitted gamma pdf distribution?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

>  I did use lambda to get the final fitted gamma pdf. Lambda is a constant and we integrate pdf to get cdf , so if I simply multiply lambda by cdf("gamma", x, alpha, beta), I get very small number and it is no way near 1. What am I missing here?

You might be missing that there are two quantities being estimated. You use lambda to estimate the model for the percentCount variable. The predicted mean of percentCount at the ratio r is 

predworker = lambda*(pdf("gamma", r, alpha, beta)

Notice that predworker is not a density. It does not integrate to unity. It will integrate to lambda, which for your data is approximately 0.01, which is "a very small number."

The following program simulates some data, then uses PROC NLIN to estimate the parameters. I then graph the PDF and the predicted mean for PredWorker.  The PDF integrates to unity. The predicted model does not integrate to unity.

data Have;
call streaminit(1);
alpha=3;
beta=0.2;
lambda=0.01;
do i = 1 to 100;
    ratio = rand("uniform", 0, 3);
    percentcount=pdf("gamma",ratio,alpha,beta)*lambda + rand("Normal",0, 0.001);
    output;
end;
drop alpha beta lambda;
run;

title "Observed PercentCount per Ratio";
proc sgplot data=Have;
scatter x=ratio y=percentcount;
run;

proc nlin data=have method=marquardt ;
run;

proc sort data=fitworker; by ratio; run;
proc sgplot data=fitworker;
series x=ratio y=predworker;
run;

data Gamma;
set fitworker(obs=1 keep=alpha beta lambda);
do x = 0.05 to 3 by 0.05;
   pdf = PDF("gamma", x, alpha, beta);
   cdf = CDF("gamma", x, alpha, beta);
   pred = pdf*lambda;
   output;
end;
run;

title "PDF('Gamma') and Predicted Values";
proc sgplot data=Gamma;
   series x=x y=PDF;
   series x=x y=pred;
   yaxis grid;
   xaxis grid;
run;

If this does not answer your question, you'll have to post some sample data and the code you are using to integrate whatever function you are integrating.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If you have the estimates for the alpha and beta parameters in the gamma distribution, you can use the PDF function to visualize the density and use the CDF function to visualize the cumulative probability, as discussed in the article, "Four essential functions for statistical programmers."

For example, suppose the estimate of the shape parameter is 3.2 and the estimate for the scale parameter is 2.1. Then the following DATA step evaluates the PD and CDF at a set of values in [0, 20] and plots the result:

data Gamma;
alpha = 3.2;  /* shape parameter */
beta = 2.1;   /* scale parameter */
do x = 0.1 to 20 by 0.1;
   output;
end;
run;

title "PDF and CDF of the Gamma Distribution";
title2 "Shape=3.2; Scale=2.1";
proc sgplot data=Gamma;
   series x=x y=PDF;
   series x=x y=CDF;
   yaxis grid;
   xaxis grid;
run;

star68
Calcite | Level 5
I understand, but I did use lambda to get the final fitted gamma pdf. Lambda is a constant and we integrate pdf to get cdf , so if I simply multiply lambad by cdf("gamma", x, alpha, beta), I get very small number and it is no way near 1. What am I missing here?
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

What are the estimates of alpha, beta, and lambda?

star68
Calcite | Level 5

I appreciate your quick responses.  Here are the parameters from the fitting procedure and I attached pdf graphs.  Once again, thank you for your help.

Alpha=3.1264265313

Beta=0.1878574508

Lambda=0.0096286931

star68_0-1641665399927.png

star68
Calcite | Level 5
I thought I responded, but could not find my post. Rick, Thank you so much for your quick responses. Here are the parameters from the fitted gamma pdf procedure. I tried to attach the fitted graph in the quick reply, but I was not able to
alpha=3.1264265313
beta=0.1878574508
lambda=0.0096286931
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

>  I did use lambda to get the final fitted gamma pdf. Lambda is a constant and we integrate pdf to get cdf , so if I simply multiply lambda by cdf("gamma", x, alpha, beta), I get very small number and it is no way near 1. What am I missing here?

You might be missing that there are two quantities being estimated. You use lambda to estimate the model for the percentCount variable. The predicted mean of percentCount at the ratio r is 

predworker = lambda*(pdf("gamma", r, alpha, beta)

Notice that predworker is not a density. It does not integrate to unity. It will integrate to lambda, which for your data is approximately 0.01, which is "a very small number."

The following program simulates some data, then uses PROC NLIN to estimate the parameters. I then graph the PDF and the predicted mean for PredWorker.  The PDF integrates to unity. The predicted model does not integrate to unity.

data Have;
call streaminit(1);
alpha=3;
beta=0.2;
lambda=0.01;
do i = 1 to 100;
    ratio = rand("uniform", 0, 3);
    percentcount=pdf("gamma",ratio,alpha,beta)*lambda + rand("Normal",0, 0.001);
    output;
end;
drop alpha beta lambda;
run;

title "Observed PercentCount per Ratio";
proc sgplot data=Have;
run;

proc nlin data=have method=marquardt ;
run;

proc sort data=fitworker; by ratio; run;
proc sgplot data=fitworker;
series x=ratio y=predworker;
run;

data Gamma;
set fitworker(obs=1 keep=alpha beta lambda);
do x = 0.05 to 3 by 0.05;
   pred = pdf*lambda;
   output;
end;
run;

title "PDF('Gamma') and Predicted Values";
proc sgplot data=Gamma;
   series x=x y=PDF;
   series x=x y=pred;
   yaxis grid;
   xaxis grid;
run;

If this does not answer your question, you'll have to post some sample data and the code you are using to integrate whatever function you are integrating.

star68
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you very much, Rick. You have identified the problem that the predworker is not a density, so it does not integrate to unity.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation