BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JohnT
Quartz | Level 8

Gday,

I have lots of code I want to quickly move to Enterprise Guide. 

I like that several SAS jobs can be put onto a process flow and have links to each other.

A pit fall of this is that when I run a job which creates lots of datasets, the process flow window is cluttered and the links become very difficult to see. 

Is there a long term solution to this?

I have read that I could prefix all the datasets with _to (http://blogs.sas.com/sasdummy/index.php?/archives/248-Undocumented-features-theres-a-reason-they-are...) but this won't work forever and I wouldn't really want to prefix all my datasets.

Using PROC DATASETS and clearing the files isn't desirable from my point of view, I want to have those datasets there in case I've stuffed up somewhere.

Actually now that I think about it, there's an option to suppress the number of output datasets added to a project, am not sure yet if this will do what I want though. (doing this makes it tricky to perform a task on an output dataset).

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The clutter is the price you pay for not using PROC DATASETS.  Mybe you could add the DATASETS after you are sure things are working.

TimCampbell
Quartz | Level 8

You could always put in the proc datasets step ready to delete all the datasets when you are happy with the process and put in a line at the start of your code   

%let g_Debug=Cancel;

then have your proc datasets be something like   

proc datasets lib=work nolist;       

delete mytable;   

run &g_debug;

this way while you are testing the tables will be left behind but when you change g_Debug to be blank then the datasets will get deleted.

also similar question at https://communities.sas.com/message/184224#184224

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I have found it useful to change the limit on the number of datasets to add to the Process Flow to 0 as suggested by Quentin in Tim's link above. All datasets are still created but they are not added to the Process Flow. You do get a warning saying the limit has been reached on every flow run, but I can live with that. I think this also helps improve EG performance because it reduces Process Flow maintenance.

JediApprentice
Pyrite | Level 9

@SASKiwi

I know this is an old post, but I am running into the same problem. How do you change the limit on the number of datasets to add to the Process Flow? 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation