BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
heroic323
Calcite | Level 5

I am currently having problems regarding my SAS EG project. I created a SAS EG project and within the same directory, the data files are located. I copied the folder into another computer but when I tried to run the project, it doesn't run because apparently the "file is not located". Thank you for your answers.

3 REPLIES 3
VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

@heroic323please post the SAS error's and the SAS code that generated the error you are describing.

ballardw
Super User

@heroic323 wrote:

I am currently having problems regarding my SAS EG project. I created a SAS EG project and within the same directory, the data files are located. I copied the folder into another computer but when I tried to run the project, it doesn't run because apparently the "file is not located". Thank you for your answers.

Here are a few things to look at but likely not exhaustive. Some are operating system dependent.

Did you reference the path to the folder from a drive location (Windows) or a root mount point? Incomplete paths would use referential data and the two systems may not be executing from the same folder.

Check spelling on the paths to be identical, to include case for Unix.

If you are running in a server environment then user permissions may be different for another computer/user/login id.

Is the other computer using the same server for SAS? If not then it is very likely the other server path or permissions do not match.

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

EG stores references to files in projects as absolute paths by default.  So if you move a file referenced in an EG project to another directory, or even rename any part of the containing directory path, EG will be unable to locate the referenced files.

You can update file references in EG projects via right-click the file node->Properties->Change, using Tools->Project Maintenance, or the Migration Wizard (MigrationWizard.exe in EG installation directory).

However, a better solution for this scenario... you can instruct an EG project to save file references as relative paths, rather than absolute paths, by checking the Use paths relative to the project for programs and importable files option in File->Project Properties->File References.  This will allow you to move the EG project file (.egp) and the files it references anywhere you would like, as long as they stay in the same relative location.

For example, if this was your structure...

c:\temp\Project.egp

c:\temp\programs\code1.sas

c:\temp\programs\code2.sas

You could move them to...

d:\newhome\SAS\Project.egp

d:\newhome\SAS\programs\code1.sas

d:\newhome\SAS\programs\code2.sas

... and the EG project would still find the referenced files (when the option above is checked on), since they are in the same relative location to the .egp file.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation