BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9

SAS Enterprise guide has git built into it an one could do source code management in the EG Project.
In SAS EG 8.1 I don't see it. (OR may be I missed it?)
I could not find this in the documentaion on SAS EG 8.1 .
I do find reference for the use of built in functions (https://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2019/01/17/git-in-sas/).

I see these are not a substitute for what was there in SAS Eg 7.1.
Can Experts/ Power users kindly enlighten ?.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
samdupont
SAS Employee

@thesasuser 

It has not been taken away. It is off by default in 8.1. To turn it back on go to Tools > Options > Program History. Check Enable Program History ( I know, it isn't called 'Git' so makes it hard to find). 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
samdupont
SAS Employee

@thesasuser 

It has not been taken away. It is off by default in 8.1. To turn it back on go to Tools > Options > Program History. Check Enable Program History ( I know, it isn't called 'Git' so makes it hard to find). 

thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks.
It worked.

GenDemo
Quartz | Level 8

Hi

I know of the built-in versioning/committing and diff tools in SAS. But is there a way to use a 3rd party GIT tool to track these changes?

The reason I ask, is that i would like to implement the development practice of creating branches, creating pull requests and code reviews for my team using SAS. The built-in tools does not allow this.

GenDemo
Quartz | Level 8
no that doesn't help...
jennifert
SAS Employee

Hi @GenDemo ,

You can manage your program history (for externally saved programs) in a Git repository in SAS Enterprise Guide 8.1 with the Program History feature, though I don't know if that will include all the features you are looking for. This topic in the help points out some of the differences between using the built-in Program History features versus Git:

Managing Program History for an External Program in a Git Repository

FYI - SAS Enterprise Guide 8.2 includes a more robust integration with Git that includes cloning repositories, committing file changes, pulling and pushing files, and creating and merging branches.  You can find more information about the new integration with Git here:

About Git Integration in SAS Enterprise Guide 

thanks,

Jennifer

Catch the SAS Global Forum keynotes, announcements, and tech content!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

GenDemo
Quartz | Level 8
Thnx for your reply.
No the Program History feature does not do what I am looking for.
I've read about the changed in EG8.2, but I've not seen it yet. So I'll have to wait for that then.
thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello GenDemo
As per your question
"implement the development practice of creating branches, creating pull requests and code reviews for my team using SAS. The built-in tools does not allow this".

Git is a distributed version control system and as per my understanding on its own it gives to "each his own repository".
There are very few controls and those controls have to be implemented at the OS level.
In the corporate environment controls are exercised using third party tools like BItBucket or GitHub.
From your posts I see that you have a specific requirement and you are looking for something beyond what SAS tools have provided.

Your  statement (mentioned above) is considered as a preliminary statement of needs in process engineering and the answer to it will be some general directions as above.

Danny Zimmerman's paper (https://www.sas.com/content/dam/SAS/support/en/sas-global-forum-proceedings/2019/3057-2019.pdf) is in my opinion the most comprehensive paper on GIT implementation in SAS.
In my opinion, if this paper does not help, then you must do more research on Git and the third party tools required, depending upon your system design.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@GenDemo - EG 8.2 is available now. If you already have 8.1 installed, the Help / Check for Updates menu option can upgrade you to 8.2 as long as you have administrator rights on your PC.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation